Your Ad Could Be Here

Here we go again...

• Noob

More likely than not, for the millionth time, I'm going to ask the immortal question.

I want to become a professional musician. Where do I start?!?

I'm a singer/songwriter/guitarist with a little experience in low key garage bands, but I really want to take my music to the masses. The fact of the matter is, I really can't do that without an outside inflence helping me along the way (mestophiles, or some major label...). How do I go about making a big enough dent for someone to notice me?

For anyone interested, you can check out my current band's website http://www.dr-death.tk . Made mostly from Geocities site builder, so it's a wee bit crap. Also, there's an MP3 page ]http://www.geocities.com/drdeathandthepelv...oads.html . The MP3's don't have any drums on them, as we've no feasible way of recording them, so we've had to use rather lame drum machines.

Hi Dr_Death

Ah, young grasshopper, you seek the secret of the sages....so here it is.

Or isn't. What do you mean by professional musician? You personally, or yer band? Do you mean as a songwriter? A session man? A performer? you could work on all at once, but focus will help. It'll also help others give more targeted advice.

Just visited your site. Looking not bad, although some of your pics didn't come through, and your contact email address should use a mailto:name@address.com to pop up a mail window (top tip of the day). You could of course improve it by addind a link to Songstuff!

;D

Anyway, welcome to the Songstuff forums.  post back some more info and I and the other residents of this here on-line asylum for mad musicians will try and advise. Failing that we kill a chicken and read the entrails...

Just thought I'd be serious for a mo.

Cheers

John

• Noob

To be honest, I don't think the band is going anywhere. I love them, and they're brilliant musicians, but they've got alot going on and they have made it clear that this is just an aside.

I would really like to make it as a performer / songwriter, like David Gray et al (although not quite in the same style). Any ideas?

Hi Dr_Death,

I do agree with John's questions.

First, define what you want to achieve/be.

"How do I go about making a big enough dent for someone to notice me? "

You'll know when you have achieved it :)

Seriously though, either you have already strong (or even loose) relashionships in the business (a foot in the door) or you have first to make a reputation all by yourself, before people start to notice you.

I check your pages. Not so bad.

But relating to your question: if you don't take what you do seriously,  why should others?

My wisdom of the day, since Mad Finns influence on John starts to show, someone has to stay serious :)

Didier

Hi

Didier, it's not the Finns influence (honest). I had just visited Dr_deaths site. what can I say it rubbed off!:)

I was just tired...

that enough excuses yet?

Cheers

John

But this is my question - how do I get my foot in the door? (not literally, that would just hurt)

Sometimes, even if it hurts, that's worth it :)

How do I take it from playing in my local pub to getting some kind of record deal?

If I knew a magic recipe, I would be using it for myself :)

That was part of my reply. First, you have to prove locally (by any means possible) that you are something worth to consider. Build a fan base, and create a "buzz".

If you are not able to do that on your own, it's very unlikely any record label (even the smallest) would be interested in you.

Doing the same thing online wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks to the Internet, you can now build an online presence, and get heard.

You have also to show and display a very serious commitment to what you want to achieve. I said above, and I'll say it one more time:

"if you don't take what you do seriously,  why should others?"

I would suggest that you read first all the marketing articles available on Songstuff, as a starter.

After that, read anything you can find on line on "how to land a record deal". I wrote read, not signing to any shark promising (for a fee, of course) to do that for you.

Next, reflect on your strengths and  weaknesses. I think (personally) it's always best to play your strengths, unless some of the weaknesses are too important.

After you have done some of this homework, you are still, of course, welcome to discuss here.

Didier

Hi

Didier, it's not the Finns influence (honest).

:)

I was just tired...

that enough excuses yet?

You don't need any excuses. I was joking (about you), and trying to give our friend some basic, but sound advices.

As you know, my failures in the industry are my only experiences :)

So thank god you have come back to your usual self, to help giving meaningful answers :)

And while I have your attention, how about giving your wisdom on near field monitors to Bongstuff and I (in the the Recording board)?

Didier

Hi

I realised you were joking. Sorry Didier, I know I've been a bit remiss on posting to the boards, but puting in the improvements to Songstuff has taken ages! btw, I'll send you instructions on how to log in to the members area tomorrow, and at long last we can get the Artists area off the ground.

Dr Death, I agree with Didiers comments. On a general note I would say if you want to be treated as a professional then you need to act like a professional. By that I mean you need to pay attention to detail so that what you produce and how you behave is professional.

As an individual who doesn't have a manager, an agent or any other support, give yourself the best chance possible. Present yourself as a package. This goes no matter if you are a session musician or a writer, or a performer.

What you need is to do some homework so you can develop a plan of attack. For example, don't just put all your effort into recording a professional standard demo if you don't have a way of promoting it and selling it. If money is an issue, and it usually is, you need to identify a way of getting money you can use as a budget. remember there are often alternative to spending lots of money. For example, contact the local artschool to see if any students would be interested in creating artwork for you as part of their project work. The same goes for video. Local colleges may also have audio engineering and production courses, and they may be willing to record your work at a reduced rate or for free. Local business courses may also take an interest.

Some tips that should be useful. Find out who is who, locally, regionally and nationally. What do they do, hgow do they work, who do they work with. Keep it in a reference file you can use when you plan your pitch.

To begin with manage and promote yourself. This will help you learn about the business. Don't accept second best, especially from yourself.

Put together a promo pack. This should have promo photos, biography, contact details, website details, gig listings, reviews etc.

Don't be afraid, when the time comes, to use your local free newspapers. They are usually pretty helpful. This can give you reviews for your promopack and sometime features are picked up by larger newspapers, especially during 'silly season', otherwise known as summer.

Make it easy for others to help you. Give them the information and support you need. For example, don't just contact the local paper, prepare press releases, provide a pack of information to them etc. btw, local papers also take photos for their columns, so you should get a copy of any photos for your promo pack.

To begin with you will have to make to and mend, but as you get more material, such as photos to draw on, be ruthless with yourself, and weed out any substandard material so you are left with only the best.

Lastly, seek other peoples feedback. Not only on music, but your promo pack, your image everything.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John

Dr Death

I should also plug the series of very good articles in our Business Articles section.:)

You an view them here:

http://business.songstuff.com/articles.php

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Dr Death

Was any of the advice any use?

Cheers

John