Your Ad Could Be Here

I'm An Amateur Songwriter

• Noob

ok about a year ago i realised that i wanted to write songs cos i'm into my music. I'm a big fan of Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce and through their songs, they have influenced me to write. I've listened to their songs and has some good lyrics and melodies. I've written lots of ideas for the songs and what it's about but the melodies, riffs are the ones that i'm stuck with. I play the piano only a tiny bit and I know the notes on the piano and i've experimented on writing riffs etc. but nothing fits with the ideas of my song. For example I have a song called Brown Eyes. It's about how she's really into her partner's eyes which made her fall in love with him etc. that's it. no melody, no hooks etc. that's where it ends.

the second thing is that I can't sing so do you think singing lessons will help me with my song writing?

thanks a lot :)

Edited by Nightwolf
spelling

Hey Katie

I think singing is probably the most accessible instrument, and the easiest for you to begin training your ear. It would certainly help train your voice to sing what your mind imagines, and that at least gives you the ability to express a melody.

I would also suggest that you continue with the piano. It will also help develop your ear and give you a broader appreciation of chords, harmony and arrangement.

You can of course keep developing your songwriting skills as you go along, especially as not all songwriting skills are dependent on musical ability.

I hope this helps :)

Cheers

John

:) Hi Katie. Welcome to songstuff. Have you considered collaborating with someone else who can play an instrument? Or a friend who can sing? Lots of people get along this way, including me!

Steve is right :-[ collaboration is one of the best ways to broaden the list of things that can be accomplished.

Singing lessons are always a good idea, even seasoned singers can benefit from instruction. One thing that helps with singing is.....singing....sing all the time, everywhere, make stuff up and belt it out. [smiley=vocals.gif]

• Noob

hi there thanks for tha advice.

i've had two singing lessons before but they teach people in an opera style singing and couldn't find any that does modern singing so i quit both. i don't really have a friend who has musical talents so that's not going to help. if there are people out there that i can collaborate with any suggestions where I can go?

i've also read lots of books on writing songs and poducing but it doesn't really get into my head

thanks

Hey

You can buy software that will teach you singing, and some are pretty good. Similarly you can get piano tuition software to do the same job.

In terms of collaboration, many lyricists will find musical writing partners on music forums like this. We have a nuber of music and lyric writers who have collaborated on projects using our boards.

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

Hi Katie,

If your PC has a mic then try singing the song straight onto the computer (no matter how bad you think it sounds). You can then listen back and hear where the good bits/bad bits are. Then keep recording until you iron out the worst bits. Keep the first recording as a guide to how you are improving. As long as you can get the melody across to someone (like a producer, engineer, session musician) they will be able to interpret the musical side and add the production. My friend is an engineer and he has received recordings where people have hummed the melody as a backing track. Apparently most people can hum in tune, as opposed to sing in tune (another useless fact LOL). All I am saying is that it does not matter about the quality of the singing/recording, if the overall tune/hook/lyrics are good, then this will be picked up and brought out in the production.

Any way, good luck with the songwriting and I look forward to hearing some of your stuff.

Tommyboy2

Singing: Nightwolf has it dead right. What you cant sing today, doesnt apply to tomorrow. Keeping it up will definately allow your voice to improve significantly. Sing wherever you can, & now and then try to put some power into it.