Your Ad Could Be Here

Hello, I'm New!

Hi folks. Since I'm supposed to make my first post here, I shall gladly do so. I've always had a very keen interest in music, particular Classic Rock (yep, The Beatles are my favourites!), and I've always wanted to be able to come up with my own material and play them in a band. The songwriting process would start first - after all, Jim Morrison started out by writing his own songs before Ray Manzarek decided to form a band with him. Not that I think the songwriting is necessary to forming a band in the initial stage, but it sure as hell would be good to be able to simply write music that everybody can enjoy. I'm here so that I can learn more from the rest!

Cheers

Hey

Welcome to Songstuff!

I notice your main instrument is the piano, how long have you been playing? Have you played in a band before?

I totally agree, you don't need to have written any songs to start a band, though I don't think you need to put off writing until you do!

Cheers

John

Well, I can't really remember when I started playing the piano. Probably a bit before 7, enrolling in a Yamaha school for a couple of years before I got sent for private lessons. I've been playing rather reluctantly ever since, though in recent years I've started to enjoy playing the piano very much. About 3 years ago, I dumped all of today's music for The Beatles and the bands after them, and I started to enjoy music a lot more. Very recently, I've started to really enjoy playing the piano when I could play some of my favourite songs on the piano and organ (like Light My Fire), so yeah.

Nope, I've not played in a band before. I have a cousin who's pretty good on the guitar, so we're thinking of teaming up, but we live in different countries and it's not easy to get a keyboard anywhere near his place so we'll think about that later.

Welcome.....(you got a name or should we call you Riotlung?)

Yup, I fought piano lessons so hard my parents gave up. I regret it now. Good for you for sticking through it. Playing what you like to hear makes a big difference! :pianoplay3:

Sure it would be easier to accomplish your goal if your cousin lived closer, but in this age on internet if you both have pcs you can put stuff together.

My real name is Nicholas, but for Internet's sake, Riotlung would be more comfortable. I wonder if your forum name is Mortal Kombat inspired ;)

Well, I'm the one all gung-ho on songwriting. He's just slowly working on his guitar skills. We both have a lot of difficulty finding time to think through music. It works better for me when I'm alone, which partly contributes to the lack of a collaboration. We'll... try... to... work things out...

Well hello and welcome from a fellow piano player.

I too started when I was 7. I am now 47, (holy crap, I didn't realize it's 40yrs now) and up until 4 years ago I played keyboards in bands since the age of 20. I have played mostly in classic rock and roll bands. I finally had to quit because as I got older, the equipment got heavier. Not to mention getting home at 4am wasn't as fun as it once was.

Anyway, I mostly lurk around here so if I can help in any way, just ask.

Peace,

Tom

Do you know of any organ that can best emulate the VOX organ tone used in the 60s?

I'm not 100% sure of the sound you are talking about, but if it's the one I think it is, just about any Roland Synth will carry this sound. I have an older (2000) Roland and I believe they gave it some stupid name like "Surf's Up". Anyway, I'd be willing to bet almost any brand synth covers it.

I know, not much help,

Tom

Guest voclizr
I'm not 100% sure of the sound you are talking about,

Tom, Think "Dave Clark 5". He wants the Vox Continental sound. The Beatles also used one. Lennon played one at the Shea Stadium concert.

Found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOX-CONTINENTAL-ORGAN-...5QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know what kind of format you need. This is for a sampler that you can load sounds into. Did alot of Googling. This is the best out there.

I'm trying to find a cheap keyboard with a good Fender Rhodes sound on it.

I too started when I was 7. I am now 47, (holy crap, I didn't realize it's 40yrs now) and up until 4 years ago I played keyboards in bands since the age of 20. I have played mostly in classic rock and roll bands. I finally had to quit because as I got older, the equipment got heavier. Not to mention getting home at 4am wasn't as fun as it once was.

ATom2 neglected to tell you that he is probably the finest home recordists on the planet, who shamelessly swapped his pro grade gear to play "Barry Feinstein" with a camera!! ??? How shameless!! ;):P

Anything that makes him happy!!

BTW: Welcome Nicholas Riotlung! :)