Your Ad Could Be Here

My music is on peer to peer networks, is yours?

Hi All,

I received a "strange" email from my web site. Someone rather liked my songs (without being a fan, he wrote), and decided to put them on peer to peer networks.

Are some of you using these networks (I don't)?

If you see a file beginning with "DidierEtLesOmbres", it's one of mine :)

I suppose it's a kind of achievement  :)

Have any of you their songs on such networks?

And, if so, did you get any feedback from it?

Didier

Although it would be flattering, I'm not sure how I would feel about it other than that. Basically coz I'm not too keen on peer to peer services.

Hi John,

Same here. I mean, I wasn't sure how I would feel about it until it happened. (And I share your reserved feeling on peer to peer services).

My first reaction was: "How could he dare?". But then I thought about it. My music can be downloaded freely from IC (and through Songstuff and my own web site), SongPlanet, Garage Band, plus Déchirés is on 3 or 4 other sites.

Which means I take time and effort to have maximum free distribution, no strings attached. So how could I object for other means of distribution?

If the guy had emailed the songs to his friends, it would seem perfectly normal. What he did was just a different way of doing it.

Another interesting point: The guy asked

"Are the songs on your CD different than the ones that can be downloaded? If yes, I might buy a CD".

Are they were the same, I lost a sale  :)

But, if there had been no free download, there wouldn't have been any potential sale to begin with.

So it seems you have to give away to generate interest, and then have something different to sell. An additional song on the CD, and the better quality, CD vs MP3, wasn't perceived as enough added value.

Didier

Fair points all, but I guess my concern really kicks in when a well intentioned fan buys your CD and then adds that to the peer to peer. I wouldn't be happy about that....

Of course, in that situation, I would be rather upset, I guess  :-/

Didier