Your Ad Could Be Here

Disappointing Response

I let someone close to me hear a draft recording I made of one of my songs. It was the 1st & only time anybody has heard the recording. The response was the most awful one I could have imagined. Some things just dont come across no matter how hard you work at it. Oh well, next time I'll choose someone else.

Hey Rudi

I guess it depends on the person, their experience, objectiveness etc. I find that non-musos often have a problem hearing passed issues in the mix. For that reason I don't tend to let them hear a song until the mix is a bit further along. Some musicians are like that too.

Of course you could always post it here! I posted a first draft mix of one of my tracks (always on my mind). I was interested in comments on structure and arrangement, still a lot of people focused on the mix. Not complaining, but it does demonstrate the importance of presentation.

Cheers

John

I usually ask my husband to listen to any new creations I come up with simply because he is here.

He is very critical though and brutally honest.

One time he upset me deeply by saying "I'd rather poke bamboo up my fingernails than listen to THAT again."

So take heart dear Rudi.

If YOU like your song keep working at it. :)

Tracy's right. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters!! :)

John B.

Oh absolutley.

But I would much rather have a negative reaction to what I got, which was sort of polite indifference. I felt I was being treated like a 4 year old who shows off his plasticine sculpture to a kindly aunt. "Oh ! Aren't you clever!" accompanied by a broad smile. Yes, she actually used those words!

I'm not interested in impressing anyone. My fondest hope is that I may actually move someone. That might seem vain (in both senses of the word). Sometimes I think I might move more people if I took up driving a bus.

Hey Rudi

Did you say anything at the time? Critique is a discussion to achieve understanding, though I completely get that sometimes discussion is either innapropriate (in that case I wouldn't be looking for comments from that person in the first place). The comment could be for many reasons, for example not being able to frame their thoughts, or believing they are sparing feelings, or having other things on their mind so much that they don't actually hear your track properly (distraction not deafness). They may also have a block against the genre of your song like "I hate country" etc.

One of the reasons writers often prefer to get feedback from people other than friends and family is that mtoivations are complex and coloured, and ability to offer a comment passed what you mention can be somewhat limited. Some people also have a real issue in seeing the virues of something that isn't necessarily their taste.

Simply put, getting an honest reaction from friends and family is a shakey prospect at best.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be down on your work simply because someone had this reaction.

If it's any concillation I've had this reaction too. Too many times. To the extent that I would put a track on and not let on. Not ask for feedback, but just watch for reaction. Seemed like a great idea until they didn't react at all!

oh well, we can but try!

Cheers

John

No it hasnt shaken my confidence at all.

It has drawn lines around the relationship though. Perhaps I'm more bothered about that? You know, realising this is something that cant be shared with a loved one.

Strange! She loves my songs... :whistle:

• Noob

I guess you need to have your work judged by a broader audience.

Some people consider a Bigmac as a good meal. Their reply to the work of a real chef might be “this tastes nice!”. Now what is that opinion worth?

I don’t really care what people say about my music. I always make sure that it contains the best I could do given the circumstances. If some amount of people doesn’t like me, I’m not going to chance who or what I am?

Cheers,

Lex

Hey Lex

Welcome to Songstuff! :)

I might not change who or what I am, but if I am trying to get something across in a song, or I expect people to have an understanding of a song, and that doesn't come over or is broadly misunderstood I would certainly consider what is suggested. I am also aware that other songwriters have different experiences and sometimes their suggestions, or the fact that they draw my attention to something, is of benefit.

That said, just because someone makes a comment, does not make it "right". Balance in all things, but down to the individual circumstance.

Drop by the Introduce Yourself board and tell us a little of your background. It's also a good place to find out about others on the boards.

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...