Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi to you all,

Can I first say what a great board and community you have and it is a pleasure to contribute.

I have been looking at the songs and lyrics for a few days and have been formulating my critiques to post soon. My favourite at the moment is the song by desertrose called when we danced.

A little about myself

I am 46 year old and have been interested in music since I listened to Black Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in 1974. This prompted me to pick up my first guitar in the same year.

Since then my musical tastes have varied far and wide but mainly I am interested in Rock, Indie, Alternative etc.

My song writing has come about due to the re formation last year of my old band, 21 miles, from the 1980’s.

We have covered a few punk / rock hits and performed some gigs with some good support mostly from people who remember us for the 80’s.

Anyway I decided to re visit the song writing process and am eager to hopefully get better. As you will see when you hear my posts there is a lot of room for improvement but I am more that willing to take your criticism and suggestions to improve.

The band are taking my compositions and we are slowly making some headway. For this reason any posts I do make will be rough demo’s, for the time being, so I hope you do not mind.

Allan

Hi Steve,

Wigan of all places. 21 miles from Cargo recording studios, reason for the band name if you are interested and place we recorded some really bad post punk. Never got signed and we all got married.

BTW the building that Cargo was located in is up for sale. Business opportunity for someone maybe. You could call it Cargo II (like Ghostbusters, Die hard and Grease)

Allan

Hey Allan

Welcome to Songstuff!

Ooh, I can only imagine what that would be like. Going back to your old band after all that time. Must feel a bit strange :)

Are you planning on posting old and new songs? The comparison would be interesting.

Cheers

John

Hi John, Rudi and Steve,

After an initial phone call saying we should get back together (after 25 years) we all met in a pub. I was quite surprised that the suggestion was that we should try the old songs again. Why was I surprised, because in my opinion they were rubbish. Not lyrically you understand (I had nothing to do with that side) but the music, chords and structure of the songs. Anyway we gave them a shot and IMO I was right. But we persevered with two of them and, due to the songs being the highlight of the set 25 years ago, when we have performed them live the old crowd (about 10 of our close friends) go bonkers. As you can imagine in a pub of maybe 30 to 40 people that’s a big percentage and a lot of noise coming back at the band.

Anyway my opinion stays they are rubbish. So in a very lengthy way to answer your question, John, it will be the new stuff I post. However maybe I could be persuaded to record the old songs and for all you guys to pass an opinion. I could be proved wrong.

I have some computer recording facility at home to provide the posts but we are also trying to book some studio time and we are a bit green on that subject. The studio want's £200.00 for all day so seems reasonable however we do not know what to look out for, pit falls etc. I think they will give us any recordings as Q base files but in the past we have always be a little disappointed in the production in that it always sounds flat and without feeling. Any comments on this subject would be appreciated. Maybe I should post the request on the recoding board not sure. Sorry this is a bit long winded but I am very exited at the prospects.

Anyway thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Allan

Allan,

On my bands recording session, we took 2 full days to do 4 songs. That gave us the flat colourless pre-mix data. It wasnt until a few days later that some of the band sat in on the actual mix. I couldnt be there due to being out of town on work business. If I had been I wouldnt have allowed the alto sax to be cut at a key moment. We got a reasonable result, but someone with savy needs to be present at the mix.

Archived