Your Ad Could Be Here

horrid situation

A bit ago I started up as keyboardist in a new band. We're doing some progressive stuff as well as really experimental and psychadelic music. Both Gene (the guitarist) and I are very talented at our instruments and up til now have performed very well and won at competitions doing solo stuff.

Gene has a heart condition that severely limits our live playing abilities. Often we have to miss gigs because of it. Gene is more interested in the progressive stuff whereas Paul (the drummer) and I want to do more of the psychadelic. The psychadelic is more keyboard and drum heavy so we don't really need a guitarist that's got the technical ability Gene has.

The problem is Gene has been rejected by groups before because of his condition. I'd feel bad about leaving, but I'm afraid of the limitations he places on us. Should we drop him?

I agree with Wolf. If you're serious about your band and your music, it's the only way.

I would try to do it in awy that shows you care about his feelings, and let him know that he's free to sit in on some gigs if he wants to. And since he is good on guitar, you might let him know that you want him to participate in studio recording sessions, if that's something you foresee in the future.

Speaking as a man with a heart condition...! ;)

I agree with Chris. Explain the situation to him and if he's good enough? Use him for recording purposes! If somebody offered me a deal like that I would have been delighted! As it is... I was dumped like a piece of meat by my selfish and unscrupulous band members :( I eventually got my own back on them by getting the local witch to cast a couple of spells on them. They can never write an original tune for the rest of their lives and are doomed to play covers for ever or until their goolies drop off...

(Just kidding! ;D)

The psychadelic is more keyboard and drum heavy so we don't really need a guitarist that's got the technical ability Gene has.  

Are you saying you dont need a guitar or that you dont want this particular guitarist?

If you do want a guitarist, and he is good, can he not adapt?

Hey mooneyes

You mention several pros and cons. The trouble is that these things are pretty much a grey area.

Fundamentally:

For you: Is it just for fun, or a future career?

For him: Is it just for fun, or a future career?

If these answers don't match you will probably go your own ways eventually anyway. Only then you all resent each other.

For either fun or future career you have to say, how important is playing gigs? Obviously if it's just fun it comes down to how much you want to play gigs. If it's a career thing, it has to come down to how important playing gigs is to your overall strategy.

For the guitarist, if he wants a career, then he has to work out how he can play gigs, or work in the industry in a different way (songwriter/producer etc instead of performer). Anything else is not really being fair to himself or others.

Is there a way you can do gigs without the guitarist?

If you plan to get signed, put out CD etc, playing gigs is not really that important (I hear the traditionalists balk). Many artists have made it on the strength of their recordings. However, that mold isn't normally used for pop acts, unless they are primarily being marketed on their looks.

So, for me it comes down to your purpose and strategy. If the match, great, if they don't, there's problems.

Cheers

John