Your Ad Could Be Here

Demo packages

Hey

What do you guys include in any demo packages you send out?

Would an article on this be useful?

Cheers

John

We , by that I mean my band and not my on-line presence ATom2, send out a small package but only do so by request.

This includes:

An overview CD of the band. I took a live recording and broke it down into 12-1minute samples of our music just to give the person an idea of the type of music they are likely to hear throughout our 4 hour show. I also include a voice over that states the recording was not done with quality of sound in mind, but rather a sampling of our play list.

A band photo If this doesn't scare them away, we're in pretty good shape!

A poster that they can write in any possible gig information and send back to us and we will create up to 15 posters specifically for our playing for them.

A hand full of business cards with contact info

That's about it!

One more thing, I let them know of other gigs in their area in case they wish to see us live before hand.

Thanks guys.

Anyone else?

Thanks guys.

Anyone else?

Maybe the rest of the guys are wanted criminals and don't want to do promo packages! ???

How about mis-information packages then?

Come on you lot!

Cheers

John

We have a 4 track CD (getting a bit old now) we used to spread around to help generate some work, but we are pretty much down to personal copies now and dont bother anymore. Im not sure if we ever did actually win a gig on the strength of the CD.

It all depends on who you are sending it to and why you are sending it.

If You are a songwriter looking for a publishing deal, You should send a CD demo with 3-5 songs (look in Songwriter's Market to get their preferred submission guidelines.)

And a cover letter, and short Bio.

Lyrics sheets.

A picture is optional if you are a songwriter.

If you are a performer/band looking for a record deal, you can do pretty much the same thing, adding a picture and any press or reviews.

You can send a full album to these people most of the time instead of 3-5 songs. You can optionally send a Video of your live performance.

If you are trying to get gigs at clubs and events, you should definitely include the video, and include info on your average "draw" (how many people do you usually draw at various types of gigs). You might also list the venues that you have already played as references, or a space that the venues can actually give a written recommendation.

If you are trying to send a press release to radio stations, You should send your CD, evidence of any previous airplay, a full promotion package with pictures, reviews, a large poster, etc.

Send this same package to newspapers, music critics, and promoters.

If you are trying to get a loan at a financial institution in order to fund your release/distribution/promotion/mass duplication, and that sort of thing, include a business plan with demographics of your intended core audience, what you intend to spend the money on, your strategies for marketing, and specific info about your competition that you will face for your share of the market.

Lots more, but tired of typing. [smiley=acoustic.gif]

Hey Chris

A good point...

Cheers

John

• 3 months later...

CD - at least two tracks. Preferrably in packaging.. ie. not on a cd with your band name scribble on. What worked well for us is having a printed disk with all info on...so our cd has band name/contact/website address email and track listings and logo. You can fit a lot on to a cd plus if the case gets mixed up they have all details on the cd

One page biog with photo. Include reviews.

Always address it to someon, dont just send to a mailbox.

I'd say CD, Letter, Bio, Picture, Lyrics - in that order of importance.

Pack it up nicely in a cardboard/plastic folder.

Remember to put your contact information everywhere - especially on the cd and cd cover.