Your Ad Could Be Here

U2, Apple and the death of the CD

Hmmm. I think at some point, this will backfire! There are a lot of punters out there who DON'T have an ipod and who still buy CDs. these are the people who will probably never have an ipod. And if they can't buy a CD? They just won't bother~ ... i.e. My mum still insists on buying Cassette tapes.

This is an interesting quote

Online sales are forecast to reach $9billion (£5billion) by 2005. Rivals, including Bill Gates’s Microsoft Corporation, have tried to take business away from Apple, but so far with limited success.

That must be gratifying for the Apple crew...

• 1 month later...

CDs won't become obsolete soon I think. Ultimately, DVDs will replace them. But Ipods, they're for portable music listening. The Ipod would have to replace home theatre systems, cd and dvd roms, car radios. Its use is too specialized.

U2 is just doing a marketing coup. Like they associated themselves with Wal-Mart with their "Pop-Mart" tour a few years back. This is worse than Bonno's shaking hands with politicians. Most things U2 associate themselves with tends to be mass exploitation.

CDs won't become obsolete soon I think. Ultimately, DVDs will replace them. But Ipods, they're for portable music listening. The Ipod would have to replace home theatre systems, cd and dvd roms, car radios. Its use is too specialized.

U2 is just doing a marketing coup. Like they associated themselves with Wal-Mart with their "Pop-Mart" tour a few years back. This is worse than Bonno's shaking hands with politicians. Most things U2 associate themselves with tends to be mass  exploitation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Marc

A bit unfair on Bono - he's done a lot to relieve third world debt. He's one of the better superstars in my book

Alistair

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
yeah, Bono is apart of the handful of celebs who do good things with their money. Bono has done alot for the 3rd world.

Well - he speaks well and regularly on issues that need to be nailed to an internationalist agenda.

So he's using his status and profile to lend exposure. Well done. But so what ?

Just exactly what had he done with his own money ?

And exactly what has he acheived on behalf of the third world ?

I mean in solid identifiable concrete terms - not just hot air.

Somebody tell me.

Well - he speaks well and regularly on issues that need to be nailed to an internationalist agenda.

So he's using his status and profile to lend exposure. Well done. But so what ?

Just exactly what had he done with his own money ?

And exactly what has he acheived on behalf of the third world ?

I mean in solid identifiable concrete terms - not just hot air.

Somebody tell me.

He makes a bigger difference than I will ever be able to make, although in his shoes (wallet) I would probably do more, but again there are many with his pull that do nada so IMHO kudos for the effort!

kudos for the effort!

Cannot disagree.

But my two questions remain:

I know what he does with his mouth and his energy. Good job. But apart from exploiting tax-law to his own personal advantage and regularly voicing an essential opinion on how others should be spending on aid, what is it he has done with his own money ?

And what is it that he has actually achieved on behalf of the third world ?

I mean in concrete objective terms - not p.r.

Help me out here.

ABOUT EDUN

EDUN is a socially conscious clothing company launched in Spring 2005 by Ali Hewson and Bono with New York clothing designer Rogan Gregory.

The company's mission is to help increase trade and create sustainable employment for developing areas of the world with an emphasis on Africa, providing a business model that others can replicate and follow.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Cannot disagree.

But my two questions remain:

I know what he does with his mouth and his energy. Good job. But apart from exploiting tax-law to his own personal advantage and regularly voicing an essential opinion on how others should be spending on aid, what is it he has done with his own money ?

And what is it that he has actually achieved on behalf of the third world ?

I mean in concrete objective terms - not p.r.

Help me out here.

I think he once bought a pizza for somebody...