Your Ad Could Be Here

Internal Or External

:) More info needed from you lovely boys and girls! I have been scouting around for a new soundcard, and I notice a propensity of external audio sources. These all seem to plug into the usb port, or in a few cases ie1394. Anybody any experience or knowledge of these external units? Pros' cons'?

Hmm. From what I've read, having an external audio port could be very useful if you wanted to go to a friends house and keep the same source! USB2 is pretty standard these days! Turn up with a small box and plug it in! Sounds like it could be useful. The external boxes are slightly more expensive than the internal equivelant!

Hi Steve

Both USB2 and Firewire are pretty good, and of course portability is what it is about.

USB2 and Firwire have comparable communication speeds, however I believe USB is more dmanding on your CPU. I guess the first thing to gt out the way is number of simultaneous input/ouput channels you envisage using? Also what sort of budget are you intending?

cheers

John

1394 firewire is as good as usb2 AND you can cascade firewire devices; eg, 4x an 8 channel soundblaster in series gves you a 32 track rsystem. check with the sound blaster manufacturer for support of this feature. My 1394 phase88 rack corrupts the 1394 driver and i have to keep resetting the box. cascade also does'nt work, and I had to buy a 1394 pci card with a via chipset specifically to get it working.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve I would add that all of the internal Sound cards I've used have produced more noise than the external cards.

Awhile back I even got the Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro, that was an external unit that connected to an internal PCI card and it still produced a lot of noise.

I use an M-Box 2 now (USB) and I dont get any noticeable noise from the PC, although I wouldn't recommend the M-Box 2, the external solution seems to provide clearer signal for me on both a desktop and my laptop.

Steve I would add that all of the internal Sound cards I've used have produced more noise than the external cards.

Awhile back I even got the Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro, that was an external unit that connected to an internal PCI card and it still produced a lot of noise.

I use an M-Box 2 now (USB) and I dont get any noticeable noise from the PC, although I wouldn't recommend the M-Box 2, the external solution seems to provide clearer signal for me on both a desktop and my laptop.

Thanks all. I think I'm being swayed to an external unit. Easier to get at for a start! Not sure what budget I'm going to have yet! I'm praying that someone steals my wifes credit cards. They couldn't possibly spend more than her! I guess somewhere around 200 quid wouldn't be over the top! Although I still like the look of the M-Audio Delta cards. Internal with a breakout box. :)

Thanks all. I think I'm being swayed to an external unit. Easier to get at for a start! Not sure what budget I'm going to have yet! I'm praying that someone steals my wifes credit cards. They couldn't possibly spend more than her! I guess somewhere around 200 quid wouldn't be over the top! Although I still like the look of the M-Audio Delta cards. Internal with a breakout box. :)

I use M-Audio delta cards, and I would swear by them. Very good sound and low noise...