Your Ad Could Be Here

***How clever are you?***

• Noob

::)Hello everyone!

You all seem to be very clever at all this technical recording stuff so I hereby give you the opportunity to see just how clever you are by doing any of the questions below!

Whats the difference between an effect and a processor?

Why would you want to position sounds in the stereo field?

What is the difference between Parametric EQ and graphic EQ?

Have fun! ::)

1/  You can apply an effect to anything. If you want it permanent, you can process it.

2/  Why Not? We hear sounds all around us. A band on stage has the members spread across the stage...

3/  nothing...

By the way... Welcome to Songstuff...  :)

These are just my personal views...  ;)

Hi

Well...

Effect:Treating an audio signal in order to change it in a creative way. Loosely this is by the addition of something not already present in the untreated signal at a point in time. Effects include such treatments as reverb and echo, phase and flange.

Processor: Treats an audio signal by changing existing dynamics or frequency content. Examples of processors include compressors, gates and equalisers.

for example adding frequency content, not currently present at a point in time (e.g. echo or phase effects), where as EQ (processor) boosts or cuts existing frequency content at that point in time

This boundary is blurred by the use of terminology like effects processor (resulting from the use of Digital Signal Processors to implement both Effects and Processors) and the use of processors as creative effects (such as deliberate pumping from a compressor.)

Panning within the stereo field helps with clarity and separation of instruments, as well as creating a panoramic spread of sounds, which is often (though not always) used to mimic the spread of instruments on a stage.

A graphic equaliser is the multi-band bandpass EQ. Usually set at octave, half or third octave intervals. The Q, or bandwidth, of each filter overlaps with the adjacent filter. Each band can be boosted or cut to shape the sound.

A Parametric EQ is the type you often get on a mixing desk where the center frequency of the sole filter can be swept across a frequency range, and the amount of boost/cut can be varied. The Q (bandwidth) can also be adjusted in a parametric EQ. If not it is simply a sweepable EQ, or Quasi-parametric EQ. See http://recording.songstuff.com/articles.php?selected=43.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

John

• Noob

Thanks loads! You are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very clever and helpful. That stuff you wrote was all right! And it was exactly the right length and all the right stuff and you completely saved my arse!

Thanx! I love this website!

Luv Me

x x x x x ;D

Hey

Not a problem. Glad I could help!

Cheers

John

• 9 months later...
::)Hello everyone!

You all seem to be very clever at all this technical recording stuff so I hereby give you the opportunity to see just how clever you are by doing any of the questions below!

Whats the difference between an effect and a processor?

Why would you want to position sounds in the stereo field?

What is the difference between Parametric EQ and graphic EQ?

1: You put the spice in before you use the processor.

2: Because it's easier when the farmer comes to collect them

3: A Parametric is a metric paramedic; a graphic is a good looking paramedic (metric).

My guess is that dumbblond is studying music technology in some form.....

muisc science, not rocket science ::) unless of course you mean making a sound like a rocket.

:-/[smiley=rockin.gif]