Your Ad Could Be Here

My Mixdown Sounds "squeezed".

I've encountered a problem of late....one that never used to happen.

I use Adobe audition as my PC recording program.

Ok so there I go adding tracks like crazy, putting the puzzle together, then I hit "mixdown to file" - "all tracks" and I have the mixdown all nicely put together.......BUT somehow in the mixed down wav form the whole thing sounds "squeezed" compared to when it's just sitting in the session.

The reverb on vocals is not as obvious, the sounds themselves sound much more tinny and it seems to lose the whole "stereo" sound....sounding instead like it's in mono.

I found that if I then take that mixdown and put it BACK into cooledit and solo IT and then mix down the MIXDOWN then it seems to not do this "squeezing" thing as much........for some mysterious reason.

Am I trying to mix down too many tracks into one wav and does this affect the overall sound quality?

I DO go crazy adding lots of tracks.

Oh heck.....now you know why I never venture in this section. I'm a complete ninny and can't speak technical speak.

I think I've even confused myself writing all that.

Hey

If you get used to posting about it we'll stop laughing ;) (kidding) We all started out feeling a bit stupid technically. I often still do!

Are you definately mixing down to 44.1 KHz, 16 bit stereo wav? Check no inline buss effects are being applied such as compression or EQ.

I'd be surprised if it is number of tracks is the issue.

Cheers

John

Ok...the plot thickens.

So.......it seems what is happening is that it's only the mixdown WAV that is all squeezed.

When I convert it to an MP3 it sounds better - more "normal".

You would think I could be at least pleased with this?

No, I'm not.....because how do I know what it is GOING to sound like as an MP3?

I might want to EQ the whole track.......or fiddle with it in other ways.....so now I have to GUESS how it's going to turn out as an Mp3?

Hey Tracy

What version of Audition are you using?

Might seem silly, but have you checked the effect isn't being applied to the wave file on playback? Try playing it through windows media player or something other than Audition.

What do you have selected as the mixdown source in File/Export/Audio Mix Down?

I believe an autopan feature was introduced related to suround sound. It couldn't be the setting for this could it? It would make sense.

Cheers

John

Hey Tracy

What version of Audition are you using?

Might seem silly, but have you checked the effect isn't being applied to the wave file on playback? Try playing it through windows media player or something other than Audition.

What do you have selected as the mixdown source in File/Export/Audio Mix Down?

I believe an autopan feature was introduced related to suround sound. It couldn't be the setting for this could it? It would make sense.

Cheers

John

It sounds like that, as if some effect is being applied to it on mixdown...

I've had certain mixes that didn't seem to sound as good after bounce and gotten around the problem by taking a line from the main outs of the desk and recording the multitrack onto a 2 track stereo device externally, or by having the sound card record the multitrack as it's playing... At a push you could try one of those approaches...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now, I'm a complete ludite, but I have a question: I'm using ProTools, not Audition, but when I mix down to disc, I have to apply a "dither" that's supposed to enhance the mix down in ways that I cannot begin to explain 'cause I don't understand it. I just know that with dithering, I don't have the squeezing problem. Does Audacity have dither?