Your Ad Could Be Here

A little help with voice recordings

• Noob

Hi everyone!!

Greetings from Belgrade!!

Need a little advice. I'm quite satisfied with the way my producin skills are progressing, but when it comes down to voice recording in my songs, it's stil a bit weak.

So, i guess what i'm asking is a few advices on the subject.

You know, a bit of everything, just to get me on the right path, how it's best done, what fx to use to purify the recording etc.

Thanx in advance.

By the way, love the forum ;)

Hey

Welcome to Songstuff!

Well it's a big subject. Basically it's a good idea to get a decent microphone for a start (You could do worse than a Rode NT2), a decent channel strip with phantom power and decent EQ capability (Focusrite and Joe Meek both do some excellent gear), and I would recomend an outboard compressor (For budget check out the Behringer Composer), and a noise gate.

Other than that in either software or hardware a decent reverb unit (Rev 7 or later model second hand), a muli effect unit (Yamaha SPX90 or SPX 900 etc) are always handy.

You could also look at Antares Autotune for some useful features, and an aural exciter (Aphex).

There are lots and lots of decent PC based software effects programs too.

If you are using a PC as your recording platform, I would still consider the outboard noise gate and compressor. You should also look at a good audio editor, like Soundforge, or my preference Wavelab.

So how do you get a good sound? Well for a start don't record at too high a level. Leave yourself some headroom to work with.

Try and process the track on playback where you can, and leave the original untouched.

Most untrained singers have little control on their vocal dynamics, and little or no mic technique. Use a pop-blast screen (buy one, it makes a difference, or if you can't afford it -use a metal coat hanger and some nylons/stockings). Use your compressor on a soft knee setting to level the vocals out subtly.

Treating vocals is dealt with in several articles on Songstuff from EQ, to compression etc. You can read them in the Music Recording and Music Technology section...

(in the menu bar on the left of the main site pages)

I hope this helps!

Cheers

John

• Noob

Thanx a lot, this sure gets me going, i'll also read thru the other postings as you said, and the rest, i hope, will come along as i go:)

I hope i'll finish this song i'm working on soon, so you guys tell me how i'm progressing.

Thanx again!!

Yeah, what John said. He pretty much covered it. I will stress that good Mics and cables are key.

Welcome to the boards,

Good Luck with it, post a recording and we can probably help more.

[smiley=vocals.gif]

• 1 month later...

Hey

Just thought I'd follow up and see how you're getting on. So, how's the recording going?

Cheers

John

• Noob

Hi there!!

Thnx for the interest in my music, sorry it's gonna take some more time for me to post the FIRST ONE. I've got some exams coming my way and all this math and computer science just won't learn itself:)

BUT, as soon as i'm done with c++ and the other stuff(in about 15 days), i'm gonna finish the song and post it, it's a promise.

My vocal recordings are much better thnx to you guys,

you'll be hearing from me soon and untill then

ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL FROM SERBIA!! :)

I'll look forward to it.

What are you studying in C++?

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

How's the studying going?

Hopefully getting some time for music!

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone!!

Greetings from Belgrade!!

Need a little advice. I'm quite satisfied with the way my producin skills are progressing, but when it comes down to voice recording in my songs, it's stil a bit weak.

So, i guess what i'm asking is a few advices on the subject.

You know, a bit of everything, just to get me on the right path, how it's best done, what fx to use to purify the recording etc.

Thanx in advance.

By the way, love the forum ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can get a good siganl source a few tweaks of effects can go along way. Use compression to keep the vocals nice a level. Add a touch of reverb to wet the signal. With reverb i use it so if you take it out you notice but with it in you dont!! also use a little eq to allow seperation and to fill it out. If you have software effects use this post recording..