Your Ad Could Be Here

Pay To Play

Well hasnt things got out of hand when bands have to pay clubs / pubs to play my general thoughts on this are a bit anger filled to say the least we as music lovers can be deprived from hearing new tallent just because the club / pub owners want to make a quick buck out of young bands trying to get seen

whats yer thoughts on this guys [smiley=vocals.gif]

just through a few bands i have spoken to recently that told me they were asked to pay to play jeeeees thats not right

its complete bullshit if you ask me.

at first, i did.. i payed.

but now?

no way man.. what do i look like? a chump? no way.

playing a show next week, couple of other bands on the bill..

we share the door.

owner gets the bar. seems fair to me.

say no to 'pay to play'.. only when bands start saying no things will change, until then.. no change.

Edited by AdamRave

its complete bullshit if you ask me.

at first, i did.. i payed.

but now?

no way man.. what do i look like? a chump? no way.

playing a show next week, couple of other bands on the bill..

we share the door.

owner gets the bar. seems fair to me.

say no to 'pay to play'.. only when bands start saying no things will change, until then.. no change.

rite on dude im with you

SAY NO TO PAY TO PLAY

Wow. That sucks... I can understand it when it's for a special occasion (such as a local Cardiff band renting out the Barfly for their christmas party), but other than that kinda thing it's way wrong... The whole point of pub/clubs putting on live music is surely to attract people to the pub/club to get more money? So how can you justify asking the band to pay into the bargain?! That's just money grabbing tomfoolery if you ask me!

I'm (obviously) with you guys here! No to Pay to Play!

Rohan

• 1 month later...

Here in the No Illinois/So Wiscosin area there are major venues that require that the band purchase so many event tickets and sell them as part of the pay. So if you son't sell enough tix they aren't out any $$$...

The "Emergenza" battle of the bands is also a "pay to play" event.

They supply all the backline equipment(drums/amps/pa/effects) and you get 15 minutes to play your best original material.

• 2 weeks later...

yah.. pay to play doesnt make sense... we all need money to practice, buy and maintain our gears ... so we're expecting for bucks when we perform... dats all to cover our expenses n gain some money for living of coz.. many bands in my area r.i.p. becoz of dis thing,...

This is news to me. Never heard of it. Our band regularly plays charity gigs, but pay the venue manager?

My response to that is another biblical quote: "Go forth & Multiply".