Your Ad Could Be Here

Rise Of The Solo Guitarist.....

Absolutely. In fact I wrote a lyric recently (posted in lyric threads) called Everyone Plays Guitar. It's not just solo guitarists or acoustic guitarists but it seemed to me that everywhere I went everyone played guitar. It's become a universal symbol of freedom, prosperity, suffrage and so on and, like air travel, TV, branding and so on is an icon seen all over the world.

The internet has undoubtedly helped the bedroom guitarist get their music out to the world and as many of them are acoustic guitarists. On the whole, it is a great thing. BUT there is also a lot of crap out there and the internet has given everyone who can play an E chord the idea that they SHOULD be famous. I'd like to think that survival of the fittest meant that talent rises to the top but, instead, there is a huge pyramid of talent supporting an apex of so called musicians trading on their image. There are good ones too, of course, but the internet has made it much easier to listen to more music for free but also harder to find the real gems. Still, nice problem to have.

Hasn't it always been so? I remember when I was at school, nearly everybody I knew had a guitar! (except me! ) If I went to a party, there was always somebody there with a guitar. And always more than a few ready to entertain with a song! I don't think this is anything new.

Hasn't it always been so? I remember when I was at school, nearly everybody I knew had a guitar! (except me! ) If I went to a party, there was always somebody there with a guitar. And always more than a few ready to entertain with a song! I don't think this is anything new.

I suppose if you've been round the block as many times as you have. Steve, there is nothing new under the sun!

But let the youth enjoy their voyage of discovery :P

I'd agree--it's them Internets that's helped the resurgence of solo acoustic guitarists. I wonder if playing guitar is still supposed to get you chicks? That's why I learned to play guitar back in the '60s. (Which poses another question. Did we maybe not need chicks in the '70s, '80s and '90s? Or were they attracted by different things?)

I also have been around the block a few times (and been hit by oncoming traffic a time or two, too); back in the '60s, most everybody I hung out with was into folk music, which of course was all acoustic, so you had acoustic guitars (mine had nylon strings). These days, too, I see a lot of kids wanting to be folkies. Could it be that the plummeting cost and widespread availability of simple recording technology encourages that style? You can record something quickly and cheaply at home--but it's not going to sound good unless it's acoustic folk. (Used to be able to say that for country music, too, but the "country" kids are exposed to these days is b***ardized rock music that has to have a big electric band.)

Joe