Your Ad Could Be Here

EMU 1616M

Hey

I'm planning on buying a decent soundcard for my laptop (seeing as I still can't spend much time in my studio :( ). I was thinking about the 1616M. Does anyone have experience of this card and breakout box? Do you have any alternative suggestions?

I'm going to have to sell my motorbike to fund this :( :( Oh well, I wasn't getting to use it anyway!

Cheers

John

No one? :(

Well I've found a buyer for my bike. It's too much money just to sit and look at... :(

So... new sound card for my laptop time!

well, I'm not familiar with this sound card, but looks great, I'd say go for it!!

just be aware of this:

There have been reported compatibility problems with E-MU 1616/1616M and the PCMCIA controllers listed below. E-MU is currently working with the respective PCMCIA controller chipset manufacturers to develop solutions that would improve the performance of Laptop systems with these chipsets.

ENE Tech CB1411

Ricoh R5C476(II)

Ricoh R5C475(II)

Hey

Thanks Amanda. It worked!

Thanks Hari. Useful info. Typical. I have a Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) compatible controller. Do you have a link to your source on the info?

Cheers

John

boink!

• 2 months later...

According to Emu's site this is now fixed. :)

So, looks like I'll order it :) :)

Then I can start recording again and torture you all with my mixes! yay!

Cheers

John

According to Emu's site this is now fixed. :)

So, looks like I'll order it :) :)

Then I can start recording again and torture you all with my mixes! yay!

Cheers

John

Looking forward to it john

Thanks John!

• 1 month later...

Hey

An update after investigating the 1616M:

There are a few issues I need to resolve. The first lies with the Ricoh R/RL/5C476 (II) compatible cardbus controller. There are compatibility issues, which EMU suggest is related to the system chipset drivers for the manufacturer. I don't know about others but the support guy said with the controller and some chipsets there is not a problem, but he personally had encountered a problem with the 476 controller and the Intel 915 chipset.

The support guy's solution involved reformatting the hard disk, reinstalling windows THEN installing new chipset drivers. Ouch!

To complicate matter my PCMCIA controller is actually a 5C841 controller which is compatible with the 5C476. I am following up on this difference with EMU support.

Secondly, expanding the IO via the ADAT port reduces the overall sampling rate that can be used, with 4 channel ADAT reducing the sampling rate from 192 KHz to 96Khz, and 8 channels reducing it to 48KHz max.

The effects engine can only run at a maximum of 48KHz, whi reduces the overall benefit of being able to run at 196KHz. As soon as you use an effect your signal has gone down to 48KHz!

Lastly there is a problem with the headphone monitoring. The exact details are unclear, however it comes down to the headphone outputs on both the card and the breakout box use the same buss as the main output... so if you solo a track on the headphones, it WILL do the same on the main output. I am not sure if the same would be true when adjusting the headphone volume. If that was the case it would be really crap!

I'll post a further update once I get more info.

Cheers

John

Hey

I sent some questions to EMU support. I have inserted the answers:

Q1. I read about issues concerning the 1616M

with R/RL/5C476 (II) compatible cardbus controllers. Dos this issue

still exist?

A1. There have been reported compatibility problems with E-MU 1616/1616M

and the PCMCIA controller you mentioned. E-MU is currently working with

the respective PCMCIA controller chipset manufacturers to develop

solutions that would improve the performance of Laptop systems with

these chipsets. All updates will be available at http://www.emu.com, but

we currently can not say when these updates will be available exactly.

But this does not have to mean that it will not work. It is completely

system dependant, and the only way to know, is to try it in the intended

system. If you encounter any problems and if you are still within the

first 30 days after the purchase then you usually can bring the card

back to the shop where you bought it, but please doublecheck this with

the dealer first.

Q2. What IO expansion boxes are recommended for use with the

ADAT port?

A2. I am sorry, but we have not tested any ADAT I/O extensions with the

E-MU 1616M so far.

Q3. Is there any compression of data when using the ADAT port

IO?

A3. The maximum number of available channels through ADAT is depending on

the master sample rate you are using:

44.1 / 48 kHz: 8 channels of 24 bit audio

88.2 / 96 kHz: 4 channels of 24 bit audio

176.4 / 192 kHz: 2 channels of 24 bit audio

Q4. I read that FX are limited to 48KHz. Is this true? If so will

this be updated in a box after purchase?

A4. The FX are availabe at 44.1 and 48 kHz only. This is hardware related

so there is no update available.

Q5. I also read that the 2

headphone sockets cannot be used at the same time, without affecting the

main output. Is this still the case?

A5. The Headphone outputs on the PCMCIA card and on the Microdock can be

used at the same time, but they will always contain the same audio

signal. The output 1 L + R on the Microdock). This is hardware related.

Hope this helps. Certainly helps me.

I should also say that I contacted them about my specific pcmcia controller, which they apparently have no support call logged. The advice - buy it and try it, if it doesn't work then return.

Cheers

John

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been looking at the 1616m too, though I think I'm going to get a pcmcia to pci adapter and run it in my desktop primarily. this way I can do either. I was bummed to hear (burried in the manual) that effects are only available at or below 48k, their email support chose not to address this beyond saying it was true. I also wanted to know if the effects cound be used as VST plugins, they didn't answer. I do get the impression that the pres and converters are good for the price point. Options don't seem to abound. I was looking at the focusrite saffire, it gets good reviews around. I've been out of the game for a few years. I just need to get the "reels" spinning again.

Focusrite Saffire

Eric java script:emoticon(':-[', 'smid_6')

:-[

Hey

Welcome to Songstuff. Drop by the Introduce Yourself board and tell us a little about yourself. :)

Unfotunately my laptop doesn't have Firewire otherwise I might consider the Focusrite Sapphire. Can i ask what pcmcia adapter you're looking at? I did look at a cardcage extension set up that allows you to plug in standard PCI cards via the pcmcia bus. It's certainly an interesting option, but I am a bit concerned about gambling my cash on a solution that could easily give rise to compatibility/speed/driver issues.

Cheers

John

i have read a hell of a lot of posts regarding issues with all of the EMU cards. They are basically a flashy version of the soundblaster card. From the reviews i have seen regarding compatability problems i would steer clear. If you search the www.cakewalk.com/forum you will find lots of info about issues with them.

I have been a user of m-audio for some time and for price against value they are one of the better cards on the market. I would recomend the firewire card as i have used them for a few years now and been impressed with the results but i see you dont have that on your laptop. So i would at least look into the usb 2.0 break out boxes that do. here is a link m-audio

Just stick away from the EMU cards IMO.

Edited by tgrover

Hey

One of the main reasons i considered the 1616M is that I own an Esi 4000 sampler and I am more than happy with that. However that was bought pre-tie-up with Creative.

I have noticed is that the support and support services don't appear that great. I was also somewhat alarmed that they haven't roadtested the ADAT port. A list of compatability tested units would have been greatly appreciated.

The poor insight on the DSP hardward for the effects is particularly poor, and some flexibility with the headphone routing would have been welcome.

Cheers

John