Your Ad Could Be Here

Benjamin Zephaniah - Poems v Lyrics

I heard Benjamin Zephaniah ( a British Rasta poet) speaking on the radio this morning about the difference between Lyrics and Poetry.  I mention this because Toby (I think ) asked what the difference is.

Zephaniah says that "there is a lot of rubbish talked about what constitutes lyrics and what constitutes poetry. It's simple: lyrics are words put to music. If you take away the music, and the lyrics stand up on their own, it's poetry."

I've paraphrased but this is the gist of it.

Cue chorus of disagreement. This works for me.

Hi Al

Well I agree in terms of broad generalisation.  There is big overlap between poems and lyrics, but anyone who has tried to bridge the gap will be aware of some differences.

Most are aware of the broad similarities, but the differences are more of a grey area. I guess this is primarily to do with taste and cultural differences.

Nigel, you got anything to say on this?

Cheers

John

al

i tend to agree with Benjamin Zephaniah there's more freedom in poetry lyrics tend to be a bit more enclosed due to the fact that it's a double act in that it needs the music to bring it to life

having said that i don't think lyrics or poetry have any set rules it's all down to taste

peace

nigel

Just to muddy up the debate a little with a question,

where does this leave prose?

Just to muddy up the debate a little with a question,

where does this leave prose?

rudi

prose is a piece of writng directed to the reader

same rules applie to lyric/poetry

if you write it down then up to you who it is for....

sometimes called freedom

If you put a piece of Poetry (or a group of words for that matter)  to Music, it becomes a Lyric, no matter how abstract. It it easier to put a Poem to Music if it has some form and format, this is the reason for the usual differentiation. But at the end of the day, if you put it to Music.....it is a Lyric. Just my opinion.

Peace,

John Nightwolf

I thought so,

[smiley=bounce.gif]Thanks Nigel  [smiley=bounce.gif]

Good subject, thanks Alistair

I thought so,

[smiley=bounce.gif]Thanks Nigel  [smiley=bounce.gif]

Good subject, thanks Alistair

Thanks, John. I don't write poetry so my contributions on this board will be limited

Alistair

I think you are all wrong.

Most poems I've read don't have a chorus. and most lyrics I've read have some sort of meter to them. The poems posted here tend to have a sort of meter, but that is just because they are written that way! If you take away the music from a lyric, it doesn't turn into a poem no matter how good it might read! It was written as a lyric! With the specific intention of putting music to it. If you fail to put music to it, it doesn't become a poem It's still a lyric!

If you put a piece of Poetry (or a group of words for that matter)  to Music, it becomes a Lyric, no matter how abstract. It it easier to put a Poem to Music if it has some form and format, this is the reason for the usual differentiation. But at the end of the day, if you put it to Music.....it is a Lyric. Just my opinion.

Peace,

John Nightwolf

I agree with you Steve, it does not always work both ways.

I think I agree with Steve, but Im open to dissuasion.

Some poems have been set to music. Prayers have been set to music, does that make them lyrics? What about chants? What about rap?

Is "do-wap-a-diddy-diddy" a lyric?

Archived