Your Ad Could Be Here

Why Do You Write?

Easy... I like the exercise in frustration. Mother of God, why do I write?? Just kidding of course, but there's a grain of truth to it. Actually it's got more to do with having a musical outlet than anything. I don't perform as much anymore and without some way of being able to bring forth music I'd go nuts. That, and it also keeps me from blowing my music budget.

I think I'm with Steve here, I just like to be creative, and songwriting is one way of getting that out of my system... Although maybe it's not even as simple as it being 'creative'. I just get a kick out of using any skill I have - so for example, fixing my bike or even a problem with my computer(!) can satisfy my 'creative' urges as much as writing a new song... Is that as weird as it sounds in my head?! :S

I think this is why I want to do engineering - it makes use of my more 'natural' skills than something more 'heady'... But having said that, there's nothing I like more than reading up on big 'heady' subjects, like science and politics. But they don't satisfy the 'creative' urges... they just make my head hurt! lol...

And of course the 'heady' stuff is what filters through into the songs, so maybe that's another reason I write - to help me process all the crap in my head? In fact, that;s not a question, that's a definite fact, whenever I'm struggling to sort something through in my head (or sometimes if I have just successfully sorted something) I like to at least TRY writing about it.

Well there we go! Some rambling reasons why I think I write... :)

Rohan

ever see th t-shirt that says, "If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand." That may not be true in this case, since someone more competent than myself is asking the question.

It starts out the same way it has for years, I'm just sitting there, or walking there, or trying to go to sleep, or am already asleep, and words come from an idea that i really didn't think up, it just came. It's sometimes the first line of what i say or the second line, sometimes it only fits a couple of other lines so it goes no where, other times it keeps bleeding through the velvet mesh coloring the page with pleasurable images and well worn eraser smudges. I like the way the eraser smells after rubbing out a word that doesn't connect the ideas. Sometimes the pencil pushes itself through the lines and sometimes I drag it along. In either case, I have to do it. The nerves won't let my arm stop moving until there is a sense of accomplishment. That doesn't mean there is always a song at the end of the journey, usually just a verse.

And for some reason, i can't really remember the unfinished verses that are stuffed in drawers and books and nooks and niches to know whether or not any of the stray pieces might fit together and actually make a song. It's not like taking a dog for a walk, there really isn't a set path or course. My poetic compass isn't always pointed in the right direction so I write to find my way.

There, that's it, I write to find my way.

MP

Edited by McnaughtonPark

Hey

I guess the reason I ask is that different people have different reasons MP. Just look at the ones so far. Some are outward looking (I want to change the world, I want to communicate etc) some more inward (personal satisfaction and attainment, because I enjoy puzzles, because I enjoy creating) and some because of ambition (I can make money at this) or aesthetic reasons (it pulls the chicks :) )

To me a big part of writing comes from awareness, and a desire to convey what is in our mind and our heart. To be able to answer this question is also an exercise in self-awareness and the ability to translate what is in our minds to what is conveyed and go beyond vague notions to a clearer picture of who we are and why we go about things the way we go about them.

Motivation is something that brings us to the table to start writing. It is what keeps us there until it is done.

Sometimes we can lose our way and reminding ourselves why we write from time to time is a good way to keep your motivation healthy. For example: You start writing because you love it. You are prolific. You start writing for commercial reason and you start writing for material reasons. Your output dries up. By knowing why we write and importantly how we used to write and perhaps want to write we can avoid pitfalls and take action to remedy the situation.

Fulfillment is what makes it easier to continue writing. Know your desires and you will be more likely to achieve a fulfilling experience.

Oh the joy of self-analysis :)

Cheers

John

I don’t know, but the process of creating is the important part for me.

When I was at Art College, a tutor asked me what was my motivation to paint. I told him that the process of painting was more important to me than the finished work was. He didn’t like that answer.

The finest expression of my own creativity is not song writing at all, but improvising in the moment. Fortunately I can incorporate this into my ‘practice’ at home. This is usually more creative than what I manage to accomplice on stage too.

I suppose I write mainly because it gives me something else to play.

I write lyrics for several reasons!

1# Writing rhythyms is fun and creative (yes i'm sorry I don't how to spell rhythyms :P ).

2# Some people can connect to what you've written and it influences people.

3# I've always admired song lyrics that people has written, and if they can do it why can't I give it a shot?

4# It's another way of putting your thoughts into singing! also it's a great way for people to take you seriously :D

This is totally not what you asked, but I abhor writing lyrics. Nothing makes me feel more self-conscious and silly than trying to write lyrics. These days I just tend to adlib; that way I've always got an excuse ready for them! I'm sure that it's an unhealthy opinion, but as long as I'm having a good time and being productive than what's the harm?

Anyway, much respect to you writers. It's hard work and it takes a lot of gumption!