Your Ad Could Be Here

Need Help

hey all,

i am going to collaborate with a guy and gonna write lyrics for his song...

although talks are in the mid-way but i think we'll soon agree....

but he is asking for my other lyrics...should i give him....??

if he uses it without letting me know then what should i do...??

the lyrics that i have posted here are already become copyright property of mine...?

please guide this noob...?

Regards, Prayag

You have it right. Once you post here or anywhere public, that becomes a form of copyright. Not the best, but it will work for now. Dig into LAZZ's articles on copyright to get a grip on the whole concept Click here

But the main thing for now is to understand that "copyright" is simply a way for you to prove when you wrote something in case someone says they wrote it first. If someone steals these words I write right now I can point to this post and say "here is proof that I wrote this post on 6/7/08, can you prove you wrote it before that date?" if not then they need your permission to use your words.

There is the small possibility of a legal battle when you have such proof, but in court the burden of proof would likely be on you, so I strongly advise you to read Lazz's articles and ask more questions and obtain a more acceptable form of copyright, but for the time being I would not worry too much about it.

Also if you collaborate with someone, it is not a bad idea to get some sort of terms written out, perhaps Lazz will chime in with some words for you to use (with his permission of course :P )

hope that helps [smiley=bounce.gif]

thnks wolf

We reckon there's a solid gold guarantee that I would have expressed it a little differently from the big bad Wolf - pedantry being one of my preferred pursuits - but, if you read through my articles, as John recommended, then I hope they have given you some more confident purchase on the basics of how copyright works for you.

In all partnerships, you have to have trust. Maybe that's even more true of songwriting collaborations because of the shared parentage of something small and precious each time - a new song. As such, you both have to be sure that all discussions and suggestions and changes and revisions are guided and motivated by the mutual commitment to serving only the best interests of the song. It has to be sympatico co-operation and not a personality contest - or it won't work at all.

So if you can't trust this person - just forget about it.

If you figure there is a chance to develop a productive working relationship, then let's follow Wolf's advice:

Also if you collaborate with someone, it is not a bad idea to get some sort of terms written out, perhaps Lazz will chime in with some words for you to use

Nothing wrong and everything right about having an explicit agreement about the simple and basic terms of collaboration that should cover your concerns. I will write something up for you as a special grandfatherly duty. You can both sign it and both keep a copy and maybe have a thirsd copy lodged with a trusted third party - legal/financial - if you want.

I'll send some wording when I have a moment to write it.

May be a day or so.

Hang on.

It seems sensible and encouraging for him to ask for other lyrics.

It means he likes what he's seen enough to want more.

And suggests he's willing to get down to business.

Hi Prayag,

Being in agreement with the previous two replies, I will wholeheartedly agree to get it in writing.

I have found that when you have reached a verbal understanding that yourself and another will work together, the written form is best before any work commences. It cuts out a whole heap of argument out (God forbid that happening) from the beginning. Besides, if one or any of the songs you create becomes a hit having a agreement in place will determine the correct and agreed royalty/profit splits.

Trevor

http://www.independentmusicstartup.com/recordlabelguide.html

Edited by MisterT