Your Ad Could Be Here

The Blues

Hi Justin.

That's all very interesting but I was attempting to move away from the notion of 'the blues' as a collection of stylistic devices and edge towards a consideration of 'blues' as an recognised musical form.

Did you take a look at the chart for Blues Substitutions ?

Did you find it useful ?

I found it very interesting and useful and understood most of it.

Credit where credit is due.

I was going to keep well away from posting on threads that you post on but I will one last time to make a suggestion - and this is an observation not an attack.

Perhaps you'd be better writing an article, Lazz, rather than posting in a forum as, with your last post, you have again done your thing of stifling discussion. A forum - by definition - is a medium for open discussion and/or the voicing of ideas. To try and constantly (and may I say in a rather patronising fashion) ignore other contributions if they don't suit you or you perceive they distract from your oracle-like didactic position suggests that a forum is not best suited to your interesting and helpful observations and outpourings.

Edited by Nick

Perhaps you'd be better writing an article, Lazz,

I believe you are right that an article would have been a better medium. (And in fact I was working on one. But the information already exists elsewhere, and Joe Finn’s chart says everything I was aiming at, and more, in an easy comprehensible graphic form. So it began to feel redundant as well as unwelcome.)

Credit where credit is due.

Credit is due to Joe Finn

you have again done your thing of stifling discussion.

Thank you for the general corrective.

I was not aware before of any tendency to stifle discussion but have been made well aware however that I cause offence for you, and so I appreciate being able to grasp some of what you take exception to. Thanks for the clarifications. Sincerely.

In return, may I offer that I have also had questions about the tenor and motive of a small few of your own posts. Only a few. And significantly only in relation to my guilty self. (With one singular exception.) Only one of which did I respond to, according to my opinion, in reciprocal kind. But of course, these are now all deleted, as is your prerogative.

I was going to keep well away from posting on threads that you post on

I still find that a weird attitude.

Disappointing, too – because I believe you and I could enjoy much productive dialogue.

Too bad.

this is an observation not an attack.

No doubt I am overly sensitive, but it certainly reads and feels like personal attack as well as observation.

Nonetheless, you have persuaded me that I am ill-suited for forum participation.

Hey

I just found this.

I don't know what is wrong but I have to say I think it's a shame you guys aren't getting on and that you both seem to think this forum is better off without you.

You are both very experienced and have a lot to offer other members, add to that I have come to know you both and both would be missed by at least me.

I'm not sure how this all got started, but it seems unnecessary for either of you to leave, but it is up to you of course. No point in being unhappy here.

Be sad to see either leave.

Cheers

John

Hi Justin.

That's all very interesting but I was attempting to move away from the notion of 'the blues' as a collection of stylistic devices and edge towards a consideration of 'blues' as an recognised musical form.

Did you take a look at the chart for Blues Substitutions ?

Did you find it useful ?

I found the chart quite useful and interesting as a matter of fact. Blues is a recognized music form, believe. Especially here, in the south. In fact, it's probably more recognized here than anywhere else. I see what you're trying to say....But I'm adding that if you ask a bluesman what blues is all about...he'll tell you....it's telling a story...any story, even if it's not yours to tell....will feeling. You can't fake it. As easy as it is to play blues, not everyone is suited to. Our guitarist is a phenomenal artist, but he can't play blues to save his life. It's not that he doesn't have proper technique or whatever you'd like to call it. It's not that he doesn't know the theory. He's just not a blues player. That's the only point I was trying to make.

quite a childish attitude I think, folks are bound to disagree, get over it. You are both an asset to this site, the drama is unneeded

If you think I'm childish you are welcome to your view.

I'll post once more because I'm not leaving this forum because of a difference it's a much more fundamental thing.

I will be in touch directly with Lazz anyway but it's still the case that I find this forum increasingly frustrating and my lack of ability to engage in discussion here is the reason for me going not that I have any particular issue with Lazz. I do find his attitude towards people often incredibly patronising as I have said to him earlier on this thread and the inability to have a discussion with someone who I actually think is one of the more interesting posters on the site unless it is on his terms and at his pace made me question what on earth I was doing here.

Not being a prolific songwriter (though curiously I am writing a lot at the moment) my prime interests have always been tangential to the main thrust of this site. And not being a songwriter I tend not to criticise others writing. Originally I came because Alistair pointed me here.

I find few of the things that I start up have much interest and that few of the threads develop much discussion; the other main forum I use has a much broader base of contributing members and so the discussion is that much broader.

I appreciate your comments but genuinely feel that there is very little that I have to contribute to the site and if it's going to end up with me being disruptive rather than a positive force then it's time to go.

Lazz has a lot more relevant things to contribute as a writer and musician and I have no desire to put him off posting though also no regrets at pointing out that personally I feel he occasionally stifles dialogue and discussion by his attitude. I believe sometimes he sets out to help but should be writing articles rather than writing an article wrapped up as a discussion tutting and chiding those who post things that are at a tangent to what he wants to say. But that's his choice and I sure as hell ain't going to lose a second's sleep over it. His positives here far outweigh his negatives.

For my part I can never resist having a go at pricking certain sorts of bubbles (it's childish I know). And this is not aimed at anyone here - but people with deeply entrenched views; people who won't listen; people who take themselves too seriously; people whose own view of their worth far outweighs that of others; are windmills that I cannot help but tilt at.

Be good and happy.

Edited by Nick

I think that maybe you have a point, with the amount of discussion, but that's one of the reasons we like you! At least for me, I would join in more, but I don;t really have the know how to do that, so I (having, admittedly, not read ALL of you previous discussions with Lazz) kinda assumed you two were just doing just that and all was happy clappy baby dolphins...

I think more discussion on here would be great, but it seems hard to get people out of the lyric review section! It would be a shame to lose one of the only people keen and knowledgeable enough to make good discussion, but I guess it might be understandable :(

A lot of early country blues players could keep great time but couldn’t keep to a bar structure even on a promise.

Blues is elemental music. The form is nearly always very simple & its greatest attraction is that is has the greatest potential for ‘feel’. An improviser can play across the beat with huge latitude and still make it work wonderfully. As a form it has an inherent elasticity.