Amplifiers  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Tubes (Valves)
    • Transistors
    • No Preference

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think if you just use the amp, then a Valve amp would give you better tone. If you use enhancements (foot pedals) then a transistor amp would be more suitable. With the introduction of amp modeling hardware, who can tell the difference now?

• 5 weeks later...

Have any of you guys had any experience with Fender amps? I'm considering trading up my Peavey, I just can't seem to connect with this amp. I've had it for about a year now, but since i got my spider jam it's just gathered dust. That's not right, I think you'll all agree. I was looking at a Blues Junior, I'm just not sure if it has enough punch. I then thought about a Hot Rod Deluxe, I'm going into Glasgow tomorrow or Tuesday to try a few. Any views guys? I would appreciate any advice.

Perhaps a decision I had to make on my own :P I went for the Blues Junior. I've never used a Fender amp before, but I'm extremely impressed. And Steve, as you know I have a lot of Line 6 gear. I can honestly say I can feel a difference, I say "feel" rather than hear for good reason. For such a small piece of kit, it has a huge punch. I'm in guitar heaven at the moment 8)

• 3 years later...

Nice one. I've been needing a new amp for a while and keep meaning to sort one out. I used to have a Marshall stack and for various reasons ended up years later with a 30 Watt Peavy amp, and it sucks. lol

I love the variety of sounds from a valve amp, but then I have played some great transistor amps too... just not my 30 watt Peavy!

You might have been better starting a new topic to ask your question DAB as it's not quite on topic, and a new topic does stand out more. :)

I would have to say I'm on the fence between valve or s.s.. If I didn't have neighbors and could play at higher volume, it would definitely be tube. From my experience, you need to have

a tube at well above half to get that sweet sound. I really like the Blues Jr, but since I don't play out, to get the sound I want, the volumes to much for the house. About 5 years ago, I found

what I was looking for, and other than just being a gear hound (which I pretty much have under control), I am exremely happy with. I play a Tech 21 Trademark 60. Its tube

emulation, but not along the lines of the Line 6s, which are more amp modeling, and imo they are just missing something. It gives a wide variety of sounds and they stay pretty much the same

at any volume. I've had a few tube players check it out, and they were all impressed. A couple thought it was a tube. For the price, reliability (5 yrs - no problems), versitility, and

weight. it was the best $500.00 I ever spent. Heres the link, and it has some sound samples.

http://www.tech21nyc...rademark60.html

PS : I am not, or have no way ever been employed by Tech 21.

• 3 weeks later...

I go transistor for a few reasons, all applicable to how I use the amp.

1) Normally playing at low volume, too low to get any valve break-up, so better tonal response at lower volume.

2) Reliability - too many posts on forums about replacing valves.

3) Lightweight -don't use my amp out much, but it's pretty light and easy to lug.

BTW - noticing there is not much love for Peavey here, but I have a Peavey Transtube amp and have been really happy with it for four years. Straightforward, simple, no nonsense, but wide range of good tone on offer. Anyways, it's all about personal preference, but it goes from Fender-y to Marshall-y so it suits me perfectly.

Transistors for me. When one technology supersedes another, it's usually for good reasons like functionality, versatility, reliability...

In the 1990's when I was first getting into sound engineering, a lot of engineers over the age of thirty, old f*cks much like I am now, told me that digital was shit and tape was warmer and would never be replaced by computers... Now, I don't know anyone who would want to swap their Pro Tools rig for reels of tape, brass scissors and a tube of glue.

Going for the "magical" qualities that the inadequacies of valves introduce to a sound seems to me a bit like deliberately inducing aliasing errors while encoding an mp3 out of a sense of nostalgia for the early days of the algorithm.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Nothing compares to a tube amp. In the sweet spot you can almost hear the electricity pulsing in the notes being played which makes the music more electrifying. I can't say enough about tubes. You can fake it if you want to but it just doesn't feel the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure transistors of any kind may be a more elegant electrical device, and I'm glad they're around without doubt. They're cheaper, consume less power, dissipate less heat and have far more practical uses. (Did you know they can turn DNA into a Field Effect Transistor? How cool is that?)

However the way an overdriven tube amp with some type of triode tube in the preamp create a cascade of harmonics and shape the frequency response due to the Miller effect is pure aural magic.

Sure transistors of any kind may be a more elegant electrical device, and I'm glad they're around without doubt. They're cheaper, consume less power, dissipate less heat and have far more practical uses. (Did you know they can turn DNA into a Field Effect Transistor? How cool is that?)

However the way an overdriven tube amp with some type of triode tube in the preamp create a cascade of harmonics and shape the frequency response due to the Miller effect is pure aural magic.

Say what?

I

Say what?

I realize that last sentence was quite a runon. However the pyschoacoustic properties of vacuum tubes in audio equipment remains. Some say it is completely subjective, which it is, therefore one cannot be entirely dismissive nor unquestionably accepting of saying that any given tube amp is superior to a transistor amp.

Simply, I think tube amps sound cool due to the previous posts' reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that an amp has tubes or not is of less consequence then the overall amp design. Listening and playing are subjective things. Both subject to our tastes. I remember when Sovtek's first made it into our little guitar store. I hated them. Then one of our regulars started playing ACDC. The Ramones and a few other covers through it. He beat that guitar and it sounded awesone through the amp. There are a lot of tube amps that I've hated. Same with solid state.

Not that I'm in the market for another amp or sim. But If I were and money wasn't a concern I'd get a Rivera. If I didn't have the money for a rivera I'd opt for a traynor.

• Like 1