Your Ad Could Be Here

Whats Your Biggest Motive When Writing A Song

• 3 weeks later...
  • Noob

That's a good question. I'd say a lot of topics or ideas for songs I write come from whatever I've been reading at the time. Usually it's not a direct line, like "I'm going to retell this story in a song." More often a phrase, concept or situation seems to stick with me. Usually I then take it in very different directions from the source material, but that initial jump-start is usually books or sometimes films. I've never been particularly good at writing love songs or slice-of-life songs.

• Noob

Song writing is usally personal, It comes for your own experience, Life as a whole is probly the best way to put it. It's how you write your songs is the question. Are you poetic or do you only write what is called face value. It the pop world it would be more face value, but to a singer songwriter, the world is more poetic and deep.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lilflirt

I'd like to quote from the movie Music & Lyrics. This is the part where Brad Garrett who is Hugh Grants manager in the movie tells Hugh Grant that a famous singer wants to meet him and Hugh Grant says to Brad Garrett "pros and cons" and Brad Garrett says look at it this way (No matter what we do in 40 years we'll both be dead)

So Flirt it's all the things you said just go for it because no matter what you do in 40 or maybe 60 years you'll be dead lol. But on the good side Christians believe that no matter how much wealth you accumulate or how much power you get everything fades and dies.

So everything YOU do fades and dies think about that for a moment, it's pretty heavy stuff but Christians also believe that your love for others and everything you do that is good does not die or fade it goes with you to the next life.

I think what they are saying is that Non material things are worth while pursuing and material things are not. Anyway that's my take on it. There is some good songstuff here. Greed, Power, Corruption, Love, Righteousness, Faith. Hope, this is pretty powerful stuff and who knows you may want to write about these things yourself Lilflirt.

Knowledge is the key you must know your subject matter so if it's not something you have experienced yourself than you must read, read, and read again. I hope this helps.

Edited by inovermyhead

But on the good side Christians believe that no matter how much wealth you accumulate or how much power you get everything fades and dies.

Right then.

So what you're saying is that a good old-fashioned jewish atheist like me believes you can take it with you ?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that, for me, "I'd just like to try to do a nice piece of creative writing." I know that "music is a Goddess who cannot be pleased," and (more or less) "I therefore accept my mortal stature." (As though I had a choice?) ???

I kinda feel, though, that I ought to be able to write about "three chords and the truth," without limiting myself to only three chords and without really thinking that it is (or, really has to be...) "the truth." Instead, it ought to be possible "to be a really good and convincing writer of what is basically fiction." :-[ And... to try to weave the very best yarn that I can.

Full disclosure: I'm still trying to create good melodies now. My "burnt offerings to the Goddess" at this moment only really consist of "notes." So be it. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

When I feel the urge to write a song, I write about what my mood is during that time -- if I'm happy, then my lyrics and melody would be jolly, but if I'm sad then my songs are kinda depressive. But these days I'm feeling more depressed... so I write songs because I think that's the "more graceful" way of expressing your anger and sadness instead of just thinking about bad words and crying. :D

• 1 year later...

I usually start making a song when I wish to try out something new, I've come up with or read online: key signature/structure/effect/etc. Innovation is what usually drives me.

As for the emotional constituent, I tend to come up with various moods, from stupid happy to aggravating despair, which reflects my own constant mood swings, I guess. It is nigh impossible for me to single out one motive that binds this eclectic library. If there is one thing, that most of it seems to have, it is the feeling of emergence, hurry and unresolved tension. This is probably because, when I started taking interest in making music, the songs, I appreciated were limited to techno/trance genres,

Oh, and you also could add escape from the miserable reality to the motives list. Or was it motivation?

For me, its usually soemthing thats happened that my friends can relate to, or (cliche) my babe. these are two fun things to write about. happenings: being a highschooler, many awkward things happen :D (haha im not the yuppie kid. more the kid that doesnt care and hangs with the socialy awkward kids.) and its always fun to write about the everyday things the socially awkward highschooler goes through :D and the other motivation/inspiration, my babe...do i gotta say why? haha