Your Ad Could Be Here

Have You Ever Forgotten Your Own Lyrics?

Blank Memory  

59 members have voted

1. 1. If your memory goes blank when singing, what do you do?

• Go Quiet And Look Lost
    • Sing The Melody With No Words
    • Sing "Tum Tee Tum" Or Similar
    • Say Sorry
    • Make Up New Words On The Spot
    • Sing Nonsense Words
    • Stop The Band
    • Make Joke Of It
    • Something Else

Hey

I am sure I can't be the only one do have done this... you are playing a gig, new material, all is going well singing a song you've played a hundred times and phut! your memory goes blank.

What do you do?

All the time!

• 2 months later...

I remember my first ever gig, it was in front of around 150 people and i was was performing a track that was written a week before the show, so the lyrics weren't really set in stone in my mind, and everything was fine until i got to the second verse where i found myself singing the lyrics from the first verse but in the tune of the second verse.. But as no one had heard the track before no one noticed, but a few people did come up to me and ask why the lyrics where repeated.. :-[

• 1 month later...

Hey

I am sure I can't be the only one do have done this... you are playing a gig, new material, all is going well singing a song you've played a hundred times and phut! your memory goes blank.

What do you do?

Improvise, of course. But then again I'm a lyricist, so words just fall into my head, and no-one notices any incoherence, because they think the song has hidden, cryptic messages! ;)

A slight digression... A friend of mine posted a quote from a song on his Facebook profile, and I thought it was really cool. I commented on it, stating I wished I'd written that. "Uhm.... you DID write that." :-[ A bit embarassing, but also kind of cool. :P

• Like 2

biggrin.gif nice one. Doh!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Editors

Happens a lot with me too but like many I just mumble words that fit,most people wont notice as compared to humming random syllables. :)

• 1 month later...

Yup it happens to me too all the time. I'm singing in 2 bands at the moment. Both bands have gigs booked. So I have to learn a lot of lyrics nowadays.

• 1 month later...

One time I sang words to the wrong verse but it slotted in okay. Another time I went into a mini instrumental verse while I tried to remember the words. I think the most important thing is not to lose the beat. Then you have a good chance of the audience believing it was intentional.

• 3 months later...

Ahhhhh all the bloody time!

I can often riff something together on the spot, although that often breaks the pattern in my head which can just lead to further problems...

I really, really hate it when I'm really into a song and feeling the emotion from it and all is flowing smoothly... then I forget the lyrics and *poof* all that feeling just vanishes and I feel like a blubbering foooool.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol... yes, this has definitely happened to me. I usually sing whatever comes to mind, which is usually a combination of the verses together.

I can't think of a time that I went completely blank... but if I did, I'd probably try to play it off by introducing the band. HA! :P

• 1 month later...

Hahahahahahahah!

It happens all the time to me.

If it's an intimate acoustic setting, like a concert or something where the audience is there specifically to see me (or the headliner) I make a joke of it! The audience gets a kick out of a guy forgetting the lyrics to his own song!

If it's in a club, where most of the people are just there to party, I just sing whatever words come to my mind, until it comes to me. My band and I then have a good chuckle between us...Good times!

when I first started singing live, I was singing to some karaoke tracks in our local telethon, and my mind went completely blank. For the entire song!

Oh man i was completely mortified. You'd think they would have moved the cameras off of me to something else, but nope! The whole song I struggled to get the words but they weren't there. LOL!

The next week I was at one of the clubs with this chick I was chasing at the time (caught her, and married her) and this guy right out of nowhere points to me and yells, "Learn how to sing!" Hahahahah! I didn't think I'd ever get through that one.

• 3 weeks later...