Your Ad Could Be Here

How To Become Successful....

Most important asset to bands on the internet.  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What single asset or tool would you consider the MOST important

• Your Own Web Site
    • YouTube
    • Blog
    • Mailing List
    • Twitter
    • Facebook
    • Myspace
    • Access To Forums For Promotion
    • Reverbnation
    • iTunes
    • CDBaby
    • Soundcloud

Hi all

I want to see what you would consider the single, MOST important asset or tool you can have when it comes to success on the internet.

So please select ONE from the selection above as the MOST IMPORTANT asset or tool you can have.

There is actually a correct answer when you are talking success, I'll be interested to see who has been reading up and / or who picks the right answer!

Mmmm...a right answer, wonder how I went. Very new to this but answered with my instinct. I think we are lucky there are so many ways to achieve this these days! It wasn't too long ago you had to trust all this to a greedy multinational "music" company!

Interested to see reults, good poll

-Stephen

which is?

Note at the local dairy :P

post it? :)

I put down "Mailing List" mainly from all the reading i've been doing. Surprised to see what the majority think!

When do we find out the answer John?

we got 8 votes so far... not a lot... I was hoping to at least get 20

we need to pressgang some members lol

• Noob

My choice is your own music website. The reason is because all of those other sites can disappear tomorrow but you at least have some control over your own site. You mailing list is built by your own website and fans really get into your band based on what you publish on your website. All those other sites are ways to get people to your main site and cater to smaller groups of fans but that's it. Fans I made on Myspace still check out my primary site to see what's going on.

Just my $.02 (:

• 2 weeks later...

another 6 votes and i will reveal the answer!

I recall reading in another post that a web site with your own domain is the most important tool, but really there's no one size fits all solution. It depends on the individual musician/band.

For example, my "band" wouldn't be able to get by without videos. The videos, I'm hoping, will make the songs stand out since pretty much everything I write is fairly generic. In that case youtube is more important than maintaining a web site. Youtube is what will get attention, then from there if they like what they hear you can send them to your site.

It's definitely your own website - or more specifically your own domain. Everything else, whether it be social media sites etc. should be run through your site.

That's my 2 cents. :)

4 more votes needed!

john, i'd like to add one more option..which according to me is even more (or equivalent) as other options..

that is last.fm !!

Hm - I know this is late in the game, but since it is difficult to pick any one item that is the key to success (rather, I would say how you use ALL these services in combination is the key) - maybe the questioning should be what is most/least important and score them all - not just one? Or not :D ...

I think the obvious answer here is to take over the world and control every access point the population has to the internet so every time they access the internet it takes them to your homepage, where they then are given the option of a) buying your newest song/album or B) being killed...

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I'm going to close this topic to freeze the poll. I'll start another thread in the business board called after the answer to the question I posed in the poll, ""Why Your Mailing List Is Your Most Important Asset ". 18.52% of you got the correct answer. Well done!

As was pointed out all of them do have their place in your marketing approach, but you need to know where your emphasis should be placed marketing wise, because that IS the way to lasting success. This is something only the mailing list can give you.

Sadly, as the poll shows, 4 out of every 5 voters actually picked the wrong answer, despite there being some quite experienced voters. That is interesting in itself.

If you are looking to have your music stand out from the throngs of artists now online you need to give yourself the best chance of success you can.

I hope to be able to discuss all this with you in the next topic!