Your Ad Could Be Here

What Is Your Main Daw?

2 hours ago, starise said:

Reaper is probably the smallest file and easiest install. Not sure how easy it is to use though. It did nothing for me though that I couldn't already do in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Talking about Reaper is a bit like the Mac .vs PC ongoing debate. Some people love it. Some people don't.  There are just as many out there that will swear to how wonderful it is. I don't dispute that, I would only say that different DAWs do different things so it helps to decide what you want/need for your DAW to do well.

Of course everyone here is going to tout their chosen DAW because that's what they started using and like. If computer specs are of no significance, then I don't believe there's any point to selection based entirely on ease of install. I mean, CbB is something like 100mb I think. Reaper might be 25mb. I really don't know. That isn't a huge difference if you have an up to date computer. Cubase is a huge install.

The added content is what makes most installs so large, which can be worth it BTW.

Now if talking ease of use, say using a DAW as a tape machine. Mixcraft 8 gets my vote there. It has frills but they don't get in the way of recording. I think most demos are free. It isn't a small install though like Reaper. Just my .02. 

I think what makes Mixcraft so big is that it includes quite a bit of very good virtual instruments for free. That was a big selling point for me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Rudi said:

Well I have still to choose & use a DAW. So here's a question for you DAWers:

What are the easiest ones to install?

I'm fairly certain they're all pretty straight forward as far as installation goes.. it's just like any other piece of software, there might be some audio settings you're not familiar with, but those are almost always set by your audio interface. What OS do you use?

One thing that I liked about FL Studio is once you purchase a license, they provide free updates for life.. you don't have to shell out another $100-$200 every time a new version comes out

7 hours ago, Roymega said:

I'm fairly certain they're all pretty straight forward as far as installation goes.. it's just like any other piece of software, there might be some audio settings you're not familiar with, but those are almost always set by your audio interface. What OS do you use?

Windows 7

I was thinking of using a DAW just to mix & finalize after exporting from a multitrack recorder.

I asked about installation because some research i did

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-daw-software/

Once you’ve chosen a DAW for your studio, next comes the difficult process of actually installing it.

And when I say difficult, I mean DIFFICULT!

My first time took me a full two days of work before finally getting things working.  Ask any old-timer what his first time was like, and he’ll probably have a horror story for you as well.

Just know that a little frustration here is typical, and it does NOT mean your DAW sucks.  That’s just how they are.

1 hour ago, Rudi said:

Windows 7

I was thinking of using a DAW just to mix & finalize after exporting from a multitrack recorder.

I asked about installation because some research i did

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-daw-software/

Interesting... I can't really grasp what would have made it so difficult.. Maybe he's referring to the actual installation of everything in the studio and not just the DAW itself? If you've got a stable computer, and know your audio interface is compatible with it, it shouldn't take any more than a few clicks.

Wow, I would love to know what hung this person up for two days.

A-.Install DAW software, usually less than 10 or 15 minutes.

B. Install audio interface software if used.

C.Plug in Audio interface

D.Go to audio settings usually in preferences of DAW. Select the audio interface as main audio. Select driver type if PC. Asio is usually best.

E. Plug in headphones or speakers to interface.

F. If recording plug in guitar, select input for guitar, arm track and record.If importing audio, then import audio from memory card or cloud.

Done!

The info on Cakewalk is very outdated on that site BTW. Good luck!

You should have it installed and running in less than an hour.

10 minutes ago, starise said:

Wow, I would love to know what hung this person up for two days.

A-.Install DAW software, usually less than 10 or 15 minutes.

B. Install audio interface software if used.

C.Plug in Audio interface

D.Go to audio settings usually in preferences of DAW. Select the audio interface as main audio. Select driver type if PC. Asio is usually best.

E. Plug in headphones or speakers to interface.

F. If recording plug in guitar, select input for guitar, arm track and record.If importing audio, then import audio from memory card or cloud.

Done!

The info on Cakewalk is very outdated on that site BTW. Good luck!

You should have it installed and running in less than an hour.

And steps B-F have nothing to do with the installation of the DAW really 😄 And yeah, skimming over that site it seems he's pieced together a lot of outdated info and packaged it as current. Studio One 3 is now Studio One 4, and it was a pretty significant update from what I gather.. FL Studio 12 is now FL Studio 20; though not much has changed as far as functionality... He also states that Reason offers something that none of the others do... a virtual instrument suite... and that's just straight misinformation, almost all DAWs have the ability to load plugins (VSTs, AUs, AAXs, etc..), they're actually the only one that has a "closed system" in terms of plugins, meaning their plugins only work with Reason, it's basically the DAW equivalent of Apple.

Technically B-F has nothing to do with software installation ONLY. Installation of a DAW encompasses the computer, the hardware and the software. If you want to actually record and make music you'll need B-F.

I recently bought a new audio interface and I routinely install music software as the result of being in beta testing. I can do all of it in probably 20 minutes or less. 

Even someone inexperienced should be able to pull it off fairly easily in a short amount of time. Back in the day, drivers were a common issue in getting things to work and trying to make things work on a really under powered computer. Windows 10 has largely eliminated most if not all of these issues. Most computers today are capable to run a DAW. I even have one on an iPad that could get the job done.

• 2 weeks later...

Only FL Studio.  Ableton looks also great but i haven't tried it yet. I don't even see why to change my choice of a daw. It would mean to learn to operate with it again when i don't know if it's really worth it. 

On 11/17/2018 at 9:17 PM, Richard Watashi said:

Only FL Studio.  Ableton looks also great but i haven't tried it yet. I don't even see why to change my choice of a daw. It would mean to learn to operate with it again when i don't know if it's really worth it. 

My man! FL Studio brother!

• 7 months later...

Started on a Tascam 4 track, went to a hard drive 8 track Fostex machine. Then I left recording for 20 years. When i defrosted, the first DAW that caught my attention was outdated Roland VS20 with Guitar Tracks 4.0. I guess whatever you learn is what you keep. I just love it. The virtual guitar amps and all the plug ins. I don't do any virtual instruments or midi so it does everything I want. I love how easy everything is to use and find. I bought two in case the first breaks. Of course it only runs on windows 7, so I bought a back up old computer too.

I know I'm a goof.

• 2 weeks later...

Logic Pro X  Love it!  

Superior Drummer 

S- Gear 

• 1 month later...

I use a Yamaha aw2400.

Old school but works for me!

Cheers

Les.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I am currently Using Sonar Platinum with A Behringer audio interface. The problem I am having is it doesn't have enough input channels, (because I want to MIC my drumset and I need six channels.) I am thinking about buying a 12 channel mixer, but how do I connect the mixer to my DAW so that I can edit individual channel inputs from the mixer into separate tracks in SONAR??? Is this possible or do I need to find a 12 channel audio interface?  ANYONE???   :) thank you 

Miles

Archived