Your Ad Could Be Here

What Is Your Main Daw?

• Noob

For me Cubase 8 (slacking on my upgrades I know x_X). Its given me more than what I need to get the job done, however I am curious about the workflow of Ableton Live that has gotten so much attention, and possibly Reaper.

I've used ProTools, Reason Cool Edit 2000 (remember that shit?! XD) and Nuendo in the past however.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was waiting for an upgrade to AcidPRO, but went Samplitude (need 64 bit work space). I am hoping that Magix would add an import/export link to Samplitude for Vegas PRO (which has a large number of sound FX/vst ). Have a large sample of ACID loops and Samplitude easily imports them. Also does well with VST plugins. Like with any program, one you've invested your time and jump the shark on the learning curve, for me, it is very hard to change.

I LOVED Acid Pro. It's a shame they don't seem to be offering any substantial support for it. 

Yes, I agree, It can be hard to make major changes once you decide to learn one or two programs. Have you attempted to record the midi arpeggios in the PX5S to Samplitude?

I have wanted to do that but haven't had the time.

I think Sony are still selling the loop packages for Acid. It's really a shame they have let support on it go.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:20 AM, starise said:

I LOVED Acid Pro. It's a shame they don't seem to be offering any substantial support for it. 

Yes, I agree, It can be hard to make major changes once you decide to learn one or two programs. Have you attempted to record the midi arpeggios in the PX5S to Samplitude?

I have wanted to do that but haven't had the time.

I think Sony are still selling the loop packages for Acid. It's really a shame they have let support on it go.

I have used the arpeggios and they do work with whatever VST you have chosen.  Although I only do music for my own videos, I find the combination of the PX-5s with the software for modifying the stage settings as well as the downloads from the casio forum extremely powerful. Magix recently took over Vegas PRO (my NLE) and as you may know Magix's top DAW is Samplitude. I am trying to get Magix to include a pass through/pass back from Vegas to Samplitude. Magix does claim to be working on an update to AcidPRO but no release date. I was a Sony suite user for a long time and love the simplicity of Acid (Samplitude reads the loops fine but not acid projects - I asked Magix if they could include an import Acid projects in Samplitude (seems like an easy way to give Acid users an 64 bit path if they offer some type of upgrade pricing for Acid users).

Most of the time now I am using a combination of the PX-5s, Magix VST and Garritain GPO and it works well. Although the PX560 is newer, the PX-5S is a much better studio DP if you ask me due to the synth capabilities as mixing. It's taken me about 6 years to find the right combination of NLE/DAW/DP/VST for what I want to do and the way I want to work. A key is that Vegas has most of VST for sounds that Sound Forge has and if you have a good DAW I really don't see the need for Sound Forge now.

My main now is Reaper. Love it! Getting to grips with all things vst and actually starting to play music now I have a midi keyboard. My secondary is GarageBand on my iPad (I have a PC rather than a Mac) which I still use when I'm not on the PC 😀

We are moving house in a couple of weeks and my lovely wife is allowing me to turn one of the rooms into my own studio/hobby room so I'm hoping this will make a massive difference to my progress 🎙🙏

50 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

turn one of the rooms into my own studio/hobby room so I'm hoping this will make a massive difference to my progress 🎙🙏

Congrats on the new room. It's great having dedicated space. Good luck and all the best in your progress.

:)

Peggy

27 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Congrats on the new room. It's great having dedicated space. Good luck and all the best in your progress.

:)

Peggy

Thanks Peggy! 😀

2 hours ago, CasioPX5S said:

I have used the arpeggios and they do work with whatever VST you have chosen.  Although I only do music for my own videos, I find the combination of the PX-5s with the software for modifying the stage settings as well as the downloads from the casio forum extremely powerful. Magix recently took over Vegas PRO (my NLE) and as you may know Magix's top DAW is Samplitude. I am trying to get Magix to include a pass through/pass back from Vegas to Samplitude. Magix does claim to be working on an update to AcidPRO but no release date. I was a Sony suite user for a long time and love the simplicity of Acid (Samplitude reads the loops fine but not acid projects - I asked Magix if they could include an import Acid projects in Samplitude (seems like an easy way to give Acid users an 64 bit path if they offer some type of upgrade pricing for Acid users).

Most of the time now I am using a combination of the PX-5s, Magix VST and Garritain GPO and it works well. Although the PX560 is newer, the PX-5S is a much better studio DP if you ask me due to the synth capabilities as mixing. It's taken me about 6 years to find the right combination of NLE/DAW/DP/VST for what I want to do and the way I want to work. A key is that Vegas has most of VST for sounds that Sound Forge has and if you have a good DAW I really don't see the need for Sound Forge now.

That's right, I had almost forgotten that Magix bought Acid.

I focused a lot on the PX-5S when I first bought it. Not so much lately. I usually try to record a midi and an audio take at the same time. That way I have both to work with. I tend to be either left brained or right brained. I can't be both simultaneously. So I either delve into the inner workings of the hardware/software or I concentrate on making music. The user interface on the PX-5S takes a lot to initially figure out. I started into it and then dropped it for awhile. I use the key bed all the time playing piano though and for inputting midi. I believe Casio  packed a lot into that board and had to sacrifice somewhere to keep it at a reasonable price point. The sacrifice was the UI. If a person can wrap their head around it, they have a very good keyboard capable of better than some costing double the amount.  The synth capabilities are awesome in it. I never thought I would say that about a Casio. I've always been a Roland, Yamaha, Korg player.

• 2 months later...

I switched from ProTools to Reaper. I've used Cubase before and a couple of others.

REAPER, all the way. It's as powerful as any and you can download the FULL version free. IF you decide to pay (which I did, cuz I am honest), it's 60 bucks unless you are a commerical studio. Sixty bucks... for a DAW as powerful as Cubase, Logic, ProTools, any of them.

It runs lean and mean, starts up fast (unlike ProTools which is rediculous, at least on a PC), and incredibly stable.

Peace,

TC

• 4 months later...
On 11/19/2012 at 11:37 PM, Prometheus said:

In all honesty, there's not much to choose between any of the high end DAW's.

2.5% of it is the choice of software, 2.5% of it is the choice of hardware, 5% of it is the choice of recording space and position of microphones. 90% of it is the decisions made by the man or woman who takes charge of the recording and mixing sessions and then to a lesser degree the mastering session. The theory hasn't changed since the late 1950's.

The fact that it is so much easier now really underscores just how f*cking amazing the judgement and the learning curve of these early guys that we stand on the shoulders of really was. The mechanical improvisation these guys displayed was simply awesome.

Les Paul, in my opinion, was the first and still the greatest of all the modern multitrack engineers... Apart from maybe one guy of course... I wouldn't be a type A, testosterone fueled sound engineer if I didn't think that... ;)

I read an interview in the 90s with Daniel Lanois, when he was flavour du jour. He said he loved buying old vintage mics, because the workmanship was so good. They were heavy things and the parts were really solid, whereas mass production has really cheapened things. He pointed to the early Elvis sessions, where it's a mic in a room and you can hear everybody. I listen in wonder to those 40s close harmony recordings of the likes of the Andrews sisters and think, ""How did they do that?"

FL Studio for life  :wheelchair:

• 2 months later...

Acid Pro has been revamped by Magix and is now again playing in the big leagues. I got the email to upgrade since they have me registered as an Acid Pro 7 owner. It was tempting . Haven't done it yet. I did buy Vegas Movie Studio though. It is refreshing to see the old programs brought back up to 64 bit with a slightly nicer GUI. You get a lot of bang for the buck here. 

Honestly for building quick loop based tracks this is still at the top of the list in my book. Seriously within an hour anyone who knows anything at all about music can have something together in it. Demo download is free.

ACID Pro review

FL Studio.. I think all of the DAWs do roughly the same thing and you should just stick with it and learn the ins and outs.. 

• 3 months later...

Well I have still to choose & use a DAW. So here's a question for you DAWers:

What are the easiest ones to install?

Reaper is probably the smallest file and easiest install. Not sure how easy it is to use though. It did nothing for me though that I couldn't already do in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Talking about Reaper is a bit like the Mac .vs PC ongoing debate. Some people love it. Some people don't.  There are just as many out there that will swear to how wonderful it is. I don't dispute that, I would only say that different DAWs do different things so it helps to decide what you want/need for your DAW to do well.

Of course everyone here is going to tout their chosen DAW because that's what they started using and like. If computer specs are of no significance, then I don't believe there's any point to selection based entirely on ease of install. I mean, CbB is something like 100mb I think. Reaper might be 25mb. I really don't know. That isn't a huge difference if you have an up to date computer. Cubase is a huge install.

The added content is what makes most installs so large, which can be worth it BTW.

Now if talking ease of use, say using a DAW as a tape machine. Mixcraft 8 gets my vote there. It has frills but they don't get in the way of recording. I think most demos are free. It isn't a small install though like Reaper. Just my .02. 

Archived