Your Ad Could Be Here

Pianos

Steve

I thought it might be amusing to get in here before old Bong sticks his oar in...  ;D  ;D  ;D

I got my first piano (and last) from a Tarmac laying gang who turned up to lay a drive at a job I was on. It was sat atop a pile of hot tarmac on the trailer. They had been paid 25 quid to dispose of it by an old lady who was moving house. It was painted white and remarkably, was quite well in tune (considering the battering it had taken!) I loved it! I used to sit at this thing with my guitar in my lap, trying to work out a few chords... Alas! When I moved and split with my first wife, it had to go. I donated it to a local scout group, I think they used it as the bas for their bonfire on Nov 5th.

Bastards...

I borrowed a friends piano many years ago so my wife could learn to play. 3 of us had to push it up a couple of planks onto a flat bed truck. That is how I originally injured my back. It's been weak ever since and been responsible for many months of enforced bed rest.

After a couple of years my mate kept avoiding me when we wanted to return the piano. We actually had a falling out with me threatening to junk the thing.

And... you guessed it ! The missus never learned to play one note on the poxy thing.

Steves transition from guitar to piano is well known to me. Apparently, the glass of beer kept falling off the guitar...

Dudes - sorry to hear your bad piano experiences. I could tell you about the time we picked up a hitchhiker on our way to Glastonbury who had a guitar. Problem was we were already four of us in a MINI 850. I learned to strum whilst someone else held down the chords to various Cure tracks...

but I suppose it wasn't that bad actually...  ???

...so ahem, yeah pianos!! One of my favourite pieces is called Kitten On The Keys...a kind of wild ragtime riff that my Mum used to play to me as a kid.

"...why, there's Mother now! No Mother! That sailor's suit doesn't fit me any more!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  :D" ( seymour skinner )

BS

Best of luck on that piano quest Bong.

I did buy a cheap upright when I was about 17. I bought a tuning spanner and attempted to tune it (with no tuition or tuning forks or anything). I couldnt figure out why it kept going out of tune again! I tought myself boogie woogie (in C) and about a half dozen tunes. Mostly I liked to do those Chico Marx finger tricks.

I think you are right, in that its a different experience having a real piano. Not better, just different, and very nice too.  :)

• 7 months later...

We got my first piano from my grandmother's house. It used to sit in the basement there where she was holding it for a friend. Mom took the piano to the new house and the friend never asked for it back. Of course I hated my lessons, and carved my name a couple of times into the Gulbransen upright player. On my fourteenth birthday it was given to me, and we're finally getting it tuned for my seventeenth.

Great track there Steve. Hearing someone else's work is always humbling

• 1 month later...