Your Ad Could Be Here

What Is Everyone's Inspirations?

• Noob

I want to know what your inspirations are, whether it is for writing lyrics, or what artist or band has inspired your sound?

Wow, so long ago I can't remember what got me started. Probably my mum. She was an opera singer and taught piano. For all that I started on a piano I quickly moved to violin. It was my main instrument as a child, though I went through a number of instruments from singing to drums, bagpipes, bugle... eventually at 15 I arrived at the guitar as my main instrument for the last 30 years.

Quite apart from music I started writing occasional poems sometime around 11 years old, and some rudimentary songs not long afterwards, though I only shared those with family until I was 16 or so.

My influences are very broad, and have always been that way. I did go through a folk writer phase, mainly because of the lyrics to be honest, the other main influence being heavy rock and progressive rock, and a degree of classical music (I've always been a sucker for Beethoven, Chopin and Rachmaninov piano sonatas).

Individual popular artists are also broad, from David Bowie to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin to Free, Groove Armada, Air, Zero 7, Jethro Tull, Crosby Stills and Nash, Massive Attack and Radiohead and many more.

• 1 year later...

People.

What people do.

What people say.

What people achieve.

What people dream.

What people strive for.

What people fail at.

What people react to.

What people ignore.

People.

I play covers by artists who inspire me. A big one is Lady Gaga, because she actually went to music school like I am. She dropped out of Julliard because she felt like they were stifling her creativity. That's gutsy and I love it. I covered bad romance (and telephone, but haven't recorded that one yet) but you can see the cover here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQyYNWHsJE&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLoPSiAcTmAGQDCLNJ1mBp32w_plchVtDH

Archived