Your Ad Could Be Here

One Song You Would Recommend..

Hey all, Mykal Allen here.

I think it'd be great to start an ongoing thread here of songs that you think any aspiring artist could learn from.

An aspiring singer/songwriter/guitarist/tambourine player/flugelhorn player/rap beat producer.. just anyone.

Just a song that you feel like really defies genres, or changed music as a whole, or just has something unshakably amazing about it that no musician could deny.

I haven't been at this whole music thing for too long (2 Years) and I have worlds to learn from you all that have spent your whole life enjoying and enriching your passion for music. Share a song that you feel even shaped you personally, and dont be at all afraid to post a little back story - I'll be posting mine right now.

Four Winds - Bright Eyes

I never used to listen to any music close this this, and it sent me all the way back to Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, and worked as a bridge from the same old same rock music on the radio, and the amazing artists that reside in practical obscurity, and since then I've heard some of the most amazing lyrics in the world. This is my piece..

Hope you all enjoy getting this out there.. and I didn't really look if there was a thread like this already...

Mykal

Wow Tom,

You certainly know how to spawn some memories. Every time you post in the Song Title Association thread I have to go thru my cd's and youtube.

I'm going with Michael Jackson's Thriller because I think it paved the way for music videos to step up their game. It's iconic and defies time.

http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/thriller-video

I'm going for a modern track and a somewhat unkown one (as far as I can understand). It's a band with a really interesting writing and recording style and they're a big influence to me and I think should be to any budding DIY musician.

It's three guys (now only two) who write, record, produce and mix everything themselves (after the first couple entirely self-made and -distributed albums, as you can imagine, they passed the mastering onto someone else). But the most awesome thing about them and how they approach music writing is that they ALL write and perform all of the instruments themselves, there's no drummer or guitarist or bassist, it's all a mix of whatever feels right and whoever feels like playing what instrument when it comes to pressing record. Naturally MANY bands have done this but what these guys also do is that they approach songwriting just as liberally.

All of their songs are written bit by bit by each member contributing what they think should go on top or should happen next and then passing it on to the next person to do as they will. As they describe it, it's a very democratic way of writing songs.

This song is a good example of that craft in work. You've got the verse that kicks in straight away with a little slide guitar interlude in the middle and then it completely diverts into a powerful and slow hymn with this fantastic organ. And then I guess they liked the verse so they just copied and pasted what they needed to and let it finish!

I recommend them! Good thread suggestion!

Great suggestions so far everyone.. Ive listened to every sing song suggested, even the ones that I'd knew very well.

I'm a big fan of that Kings Of Leon song.. really does defy that verse/chorus/bridge structure - And still made it well onto the radios and mp3 players of many.

Gangleri - thanks for that unique suggestion.. Im definitely a fan now, and I'd never heard of them before. I'm a solo artist and trying to get skilled enough at bass/drums/ and my trusty old guitar so I could get to that level where I could just switch.. it'll definitely be a while for drums, haha.

Hey mykalallen, very glad you liked them! As far as I know they're totally unique, both in style and approach. I've seen them live (with the two-man line-up) and the member who drums when they play the songs live is ridiculous. I'm like you and my drumming is just non-existant, could never get it to a recording standard, but he's incredible and he can sing whilst he plays the drums which is always a big musical turn-on for me. I'll post you a video to show you (not on here so it doesn't clog up the nice clean thread)! And they seem like nice gentlemen which is always a plus.

Let's hear the instrumental side of things!

• Editors

I listen to this "not so known" band called The Reign of Kindo. Their musicality is something that amazes me each time I listen to them. The songwriting is just too overwhelming for me.

Here's one.

Here's another one (crazy drumming at 3:00)

Personally,I cant quiet put them in a single genre!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely some great music so far.. Been giving everything I havn't listened to as unbiased of a listen as I can.

Heres a song I feel really hit the mark perfectly.. It's new, but pretty undeniably great. Supreme vocal/guitar/bass/melody/catchiness/originality .. and many other things.

I totally know what you mean!

I just listened to this song by Chris Martin (Coldplay) and Faultline recently, and I felt there was something so unique about it but I just couldn't put my finger on what it was..