Your Ad Could Be Here

Dream Guitars

I belong to a forum where in lays a thread called "Your next guitar" I'm a recovering afficianado at one time having over 60 guitars. At that time playing was my life and collecting was my hobby. Every month I'd buy one or two simply because I could.

Now I've got 7 guitars and four dedicated midi guitars. Two are just for show but two are my work horses. I still think of buying more.

My two dream electrics are a Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster and a Parker Fly Supreme (or at least a custom) Which is odd compared to my logic of yesteryear. I already own an 80's strat and a Parker P44

Here is my dream strat

And here is the dream parker

I like your taste in guitars :thumbup:

Parker's look like such cool guitars, they're one of those brands where whenever I see a vid of someone playing one, before they even start I already think they probably know what they're doing and I'm in for some sweet tunes.

Can't find a single decent demo of it, but I've been wanting one of the Holdsworth signature models for a few years now

Also wouldn't mind if a Duesenberg came my way :rockin:

• 2 weeks later...

I like you Mike have the sickness.im up to 23 guitars and love every one of them.

ive got gibsons,carvins,jacksons,a lot of ibanez [all f plants ],a fender,a PRS etc.

The next guitar i wanted was a music man John petrucci model with the piezo bridge butwhen i went to test drive them it took 5 different guitars before i found one that the electronics worked correctly,kinda shook my confidence in them,but the one that did work correctly was amazing,and i still want one.

Wow, reads like an impressive collection.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean about piezo bridge both having to either have active pickups or a voltage regulator to match outputs. I've read that active pickups have come a long way in improved tone. There is something magical that happens when you blend a piezo with a standard magnetic pickup.

Just give me another tele - dream guitar a 50's tele - black guard.

• 2 weeks later...

Any guitar will do.

Good ones make playing easier.

They are just tools. :hammer:

I dont want any more guitars.

There was a time I was soooo obsessed with tone I couldn't play. I used to work about 20 hrs a week as a studio musician for this fairly busy, small studio in Ft Meyers. And I'd also cook for my main job just to have something to fall back on. The studio job would feed my guitar buying addiction and give buying guitars justification. I always needed more guitars, more amps, more stomp boxes.

My Bedroom became my guitar room and I'd sleep in the living room.

On the weekend when I'd just want to play for myself I'd walk in. Think of a song I'd want to play. Find the guitar that best matched it. hook up my pedal boards select and amp. And then spend about a half an our trying to dial in the exact right tone. Then play the song. As soon as that song was done I'd want to play something entirely different. find different guitar use different amp figure out different pedals, tweak, tweak, tweak. Play the song. Get frustrated if it wasn't right on the money. I used to think "Rock Stars have it so easy: they only have to play their own songs. I could never go out on stage at that time because I was too obsessed with tone and setting things up. The more effects I used the less of the guitars character came through. One day I let it all go. I walked in and decided I'm going to play one guitar with one amp and no effects aside from a little reverb. Plugged my Strat into my Traynor. I decided if I wanted to play jazz I'd play my strat with my traynor and let all my jazz boxes collect dust. If I was going to play acoustic stuff I'd just play it on my strat thru the traynor. Any song I was going to play that was going to be the method. I relearned a valuable lesson that day. Style isn't as much about what you play (instrument/setup) as it is how you play it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Those old "Airline" "Kay" and "Silvertone" guitars as well as other oddbal instruments from my earliest years. The looked great and were completely unplayable. I didn't know there were "Guitar" tech's that could fix em into something more usable and when I found out usually the cost of the tech plus the instrument was more then finding something alot better.

A buddy of mine who is a tech and owns a small guitar store used to collect Kay's he'd even out the frets dress and polish them go as far as removing the necks as well as replace tone and volume pots. He knew if he ever sold them it would be at a lose. Till one day the manager for a GC offered him 50K for all 30 models. He never paid more then $150 for any one of them. That's 4,500 he made over 10 times as much as it cost him.

It's funny. I've had a few guitars sitting in thier cases and decided to break them out. Most notably my Godin Freeway and my Godin LR Baggs model

Oddly this video doesn't due justice to how amazing the LR Baggs model is. It preceeded the acoustcaster and later models of similar design. It has these "tines" inside the body that vibrate sympathetically with the strings. It's just amazing.

As well I broke out my Godin Freeway SA and gave that a whirl. The more I think about different guitars these days. The more I think to myself. I'd rather make slight changes to my current lineups hardware then go out and buy another guitar to sit in a case waiting for someday.

I'd prolly add a neck pickup to the LR baggs model and I'd prolly swap out my gold lace sensor pickguard for a pre wired Jimmie Vaughn pickguard.

edit. The gold lace sensors are on my stratocaster. And while they are fine for buddy holly covers they really aren't the heart and sould blues pickups I'd want on my strat.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to be a severly addicted gearhead.  I was lucky - it eventually subsided and went away.  Now I have all the tools I'll ever need to do my job.  I still buy guitars or new gear once in a while but what I have will cover all the bases.

I do have my favorites though...

post-12885-0-70129400-1364110036_thumb.j

Left - My '99 Relic tele.  One of the last Vince Cunetto did for Fender.  Right - My '98 52 Reissue with Harmonic Design Vintage+ pickups.

Those tele's are beautiful telebob! what kind of finish is the one on the right? It looks slightly metallic to my eyes.

That's a copper.  Fender first introduced copper for teles with the Esquire in '52 (I think).  It was a custom order item.  Interestingly, it was a DuPont car paint.  It has a bakelite pickguard and white tortise shell pickup covers.

Copper is pretty unusual on the 52 RI's and I've only see a few.

• 4 months later...

I really want a seagull guitar. Its Canadian made, and I'm into buying from locally owned companies instead of ones from overseas. Also, each guitar has a compound-curve" top design on all of their lines. The idea behind this is to add an arch to the top of the guitar to allow the company to use a thinner and a more lightly braced top. This is opposed to the typical flat top of an acoustic guitar which has problems with the sound hole sinking in. I thought that was pretty nifty.

Seagull's are awesome guitars, some of the Norman guitars are really lovely too. Godin and all of the brands they produce/distribute are probably some of my favourite guitars.

• Like 1