Your Ad Could Be Here

Stage Names

I'm curious as to what you guys think of stage names. Do you think singers should go by their given names or create stage names? If you had a stage name, what would it be? And what do you think a good stage name for me would be? (By the way, my given name is Topaz.) I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

Edited by Topaz

I think there's definitely situations where a stage name is beneficial. I do some acting as well as music, and I know a lot of guys who use stage names for privacy reasons. George Canyon is from the town I grew up in, his given name was Fred Lays, changing his name obviously helped solidify his career and his place in country music. I have no ideas for you! But Topaz is a pretty cool given name, I'd roll with it personally!

The whole notion seems a bit of laugh to be honest, but I'm sure an iconic name can one way to help people notice you. I have created more than one name for my recordings other than Rudi (not a stage names of course but the idea is the same).

I agree with Layne, Topaz is a great name. There are obvious visual ways to reinforce the name on artwork and on stage.

A certain person on this board once claimed his stage name was Jesus Martini (you know who you are!).

I agree Topaz is a name that really doesn't need changing. My name's Randy Drilingas. Not gonna see that up in lights ever! (Even if I was good enough to have my name in lights) I go by Just1L because people ALWAYS mis-spell my name with two L's instead of one. My wife and I were talking about this just the other night actually. I came up with a new one "Little Chihuahua" or 'Lil Hua Hua' pronounced Lil Wa Wa. Ah, we're still laughing at that one.

The inference (question) is:

Could you achieve success with a dull or unpronouncable name?

The answer is yes. Just1L is quite right 'Engelbert Humperdinck' is a good example. In movies, the studios were always creating names for thier stars.

But a some of them were having none of it; like Arnold Schwarzenegger for instance.

Whether it makes it harder or not is a different question. I dont know.

Rudi Plaguefoot has never held back my career as a Chicken Sexer though.