Your Ad Could Be Here

First Post! New Into This Songwriting Business.

Lythe23

Hey guys, first post! 

I'm Dan! 

only just got into songwriting as I am currently doing my final year project on how lyric writing can evoke emotions within the writer, and this has brought my interest high in the subject. I've been looking into musicology side of things and find it really interesting to see peoples views on songwriting and if they ever find it to be useful within releasing emotion. 

If you do have any opinions, i'd be interested to hear if its ever acted as a form of release. For example, any times you guys have felt down and then written a song and felt a shift in mood! 

Anyways, i'm looking into music writing from a psychological point of view, and intend to look into all your opinions and view the songs you have penned within this forumn! I look forward to speaking to you guys!

Dan out x

Hey Dan, welcome to Songstuff :)

I have plenty of opinions about Songwriting, though I am always open minded to learn and happy to change opinions with new information when a change of mind is warranted.

A case of song writer, heal thyself? It's something I have deliberately used during emotional crisis of varying kinds, though I am far more aware of the psychology of a song relating to listeners rather than the writer. Likewise, although I have used the song writing process to my own benefit it's been a natural go to place for me rather than an informed exercise, as much an oppertunity to vent as anything else. Many of the more indulgent songs have never seen the light of day, that wasn't why I wrote them, and I didn't want to feel any inhibition that the notion of presenting the result to others my have placed upon those songs. Some have made it through to finished, publicly presented songs, but in those times of crisis it was not the aim, just something I might consider retrospectively.

Anyway, I will be happy to take a part in discussing this. A very worthwhile topic. Better to do in the songwriting discussion board rather than the introduction board so I'll leave it there for now. Who knows if it proves to be a topic with a lot of interest, perhaps you would be interested in starting and running your own group (comes with home pages and up to 5 forums, plus group communications.) Just an idea for future consideration. :)

Anyway, good to have you aboard.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Add a link to the topic to your forum signature.

Post a link to the topic on the Songstuff Facebook page wall.

Check the boards using advanced search for topics that over lap with yours. Post a reply and include a link to your topic. Even replying to an old topic can pull in members who are currently inactive as they might receive notifications. You could also send people who replied to that original topic a PM.

Search our community profiles and blogs using advanced search, yet again PM members who have shown interest in the topic before.

Ask members in your topic (edit your first post) to like your post using the tick box, and share a link to the topic on their social media sites. Just explain your passion for the topic and that you would appreciate them doing whatever they can to spread the word.

You could also post links to the topic in other websites assuming they permit the posting of such links. This could be as simple as tweeting it or sharing on FB, to music forums that allow it.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas to go on with :)

Hi

Welcome to Songstuff.

As a lyricist, I do try to use previous experiences and draw upon emotions from those when I write, but I avoid writing about specific experiences. I also like to try to write something which others can relate to rather than use the writing process as a cathartic exercise solely for myself.

It is always interesting to hear other people's views, so good luck!

Jan