Your Ad Could Be Here

Do Some Of You Follow Steps To Write Songs

Hey

Yes I do. Weirdly enough I'm writing an article laying out a useful methodology for Songstuff! Almost finished. I will probably split it into a couple of articles as it is pretty big... :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yes, but I developed it through experience rather than design. And I didn't always follow a process.

Usually it comes from messing around on the guitar until I find some chords/riffs that seem to work. Then it's sort that into some kind of structure. Then work on a vocal melody. Think of a lyrical hook or title that goes with the music (that bit takes a looooong time!), write the lyrics, post them on Songstuff, get feedback, rewrite them. Practice the song until I'm sick of it. Play it live a few times. Record it about 8 years later after I have forgotten how it goes!

Simples.

Edited by Alistair

I haven't but only because I forget to try it when I actually sit down to write.  I only write when I feel motivated and inspired and at that point I just go with the inspiration.  But I often get ideas for a process on songwriting when listening to other songs I love, I just never remember to test out that process when it comes down to having an instrument or pen in hand.

I have various approaches.

The most contrived & brilliant ideas always return rubbish though.

I used to start with harmony / melody and delevop that completely. Then do the words.

Then I started with words and built the music around those (still do sometimes).

Lately, I think in terms of changes. The moment of transition from one chord to another with a melodic link. Then, before that goes too much further, consider what time signiture would serve the change best. So its like finding a whole finished 3 seconds of music and extrapolating everything else from that.

Finally, I will dip into my notebooks of words, to see what suits the music. This can be awkward, as it always means a rewrite of the words.

Yes, absolutely.

I feel like I've described my own process many times...so I don't feel like going into it again. But I think it's probably less important the specific process one uses, than simply having one. Everybody's is going to be different...it's about finding what works for you.

For me, it's helpful to know, even if I might decide to break routine and experiment, there will always be certain things that consistently get me results. I think I'm fortunate in that I'm never knocked out by the first spark of an idea...I've learned to just trust the process and know by being patient and working on it little by little, I'll eventually wind up with something I'm happy with. The real inspiration for me comes after it's finished, and I can hear how the work paid off...which encourages me to write another one. These days, I'm averaging about a song a month. But if I simply waited for magic to strike, I'd probably get nowhere.

• 3 weeks later...

My attitude has always been that I'm thankful for anything the muse sends me ....... sometimes it might be a hook or a title ....sometimes a short melody riff ..... sometimes the first line of a verse , or chorus ... sometimes a beat or groove , a strum pattern , a chord or chord progression ....... I believe a good writer starts out with what he has .... then decides what he doesn't have and what he needs ...... for example an awesome female artist just gave a cd .....her vocals ability was a 10, her songwriting a 3/4 ability ...... there was one song on the CD I thought had potential .....it was the melody of the verse ,not so much as the lyrics ........ I asked if she would be willing to rewrite the song with me as a different song keeping the verse melody ....... she agreed and we have a killer song on the works , with a very good chorus and lift that was never there before ..... so my point is to start with what you have ......then figure out what the song needs....... on a side note, out of a hundred CDs I have been given , I have only offered to rewrite 3 or 4 songs with the songwriter's ... 3 said no, because they felt their songs were all great.... 1 said yes, ...... I'm not out to "steal" anyone's songs, but now and then you just know what is missing in a song , or what it needs ......basically here in Nashville one person or the other has a hook, riff or line that you start with anyways .... so to me this is no different ..... sorry I got off topic, but I felt that someone might be interested in the concept of rewriting something already considered finished .....I know it can be a touchy thing to bring up to most people .... but in Nashville most writer s want to get the biggest,best, and strongest song possible, so its done here sometimes

My steps for writing a real good song are similar 

Step 1 gather my friends Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, and I.W. Harper to help as co writers

Step 2  Talk real good to them and inhale their C2H5OH goodness

Step 3 Either write the next top 10 hit  or pass out which ever comes first.

Hey Mac,

That sounds like one heck of a party, whether a song comes out of it or not. Don't forget the mad Englishman Johnnie Walker and the old pirate, Captain Morgan. Many a good time to be had with them both.

I agree with what Gradual said, in that it's more important to have a process, than what it actually is. I have several approaches, and like midnighthowler, they all stem from what I already have. I feel stronger lyrically than melodically, and I'm not much of a player, so I never start by noodling, because I can't! LOL It's usually a phrase, or an idea that starts the ball rolling for me. Then it's about letting one spark of inspiration run its course and re-evaluating what there is, and what there isn't and going again from there.

One thing I don't do is rush. I have heaps of projects in various stages of completion. I revisit them all, and look at what's there and what's not. If inspiration materialises I go with it, if not, I move on to the next.

Agreed, good question.

Kel

Hey Mac,

That sounds like one heck of a party, whether a song comes out of it or not. Don't forget the mad Englishman Johnnie Walker and the old pirate, Captain Morgan. Many a good time to be had with them both.

I agree with what Gradual said, in that it's more important to have a process, than what it actually is. I have several approaches, and like midnighthowler, they all stem from what I already have. I feel stronger lyrically than melodically, and I'm not much of a player, so I never start by noodling, because I can't! LOL It's usually a phrase, or an idea that starts the ball rolling for me. Then it's about letting one spark of inspiration run its course and re-evaluating what there is, and what there isn't and going again from there.

One thing I don't do is rush. I have heaps of projects in various stages of completion. I revisit them all, and look at what's there and what's not. If inspiration materialises I go with it, if not, I move on to the next.

Agreed, good question.

Kel

Actually That was A joke I haven't drank any alochol in 11 years.

But really most of my songs come from people places and things AKA other drunks I take what they say and turn into a song on the spot. Sometimes it doesn't work sometimes it needs major work sometimes it needs polishing, But sometimes I have percieved hit right from the get go and it need nothing.

Edited by macmanmatty

I fugured a good joke can't go wrong with a little company.

Not much of a drinker myself, either.

K