Your Ad Could Be Here

Developing A "style"

Hey there, I need help:

https://soundcloud.com/kelabbmusic/do-some-crazy

https://soundcloud.com/kelabbmusic/over-my-head-v2

(yes they are different versions of the same song!) (I don't know why the links say the songs are unavailable [if they do?] the links don't go right to the tracks for some reason, but you can see on the page...)

I know the first thing that comes to mind is "STOP! Don't do it anymore!" but don't worry too much, I don't aspire to being a performer. However if the planets aligned and the earth shook enough and I stopped sounding like a tom cat with his tail in a pot of boiling water I'd give it a go...

Second thing most people offer is to get plenty of practice. Okay, doing that...

Third most common thing I hear and read regards developing a "style" hence this thread.

There are several artists I look to when I think about my singing, but not because I think I sound anything like them. I don't (at least I don't think so). I have never thought either Bob Dylan nor Bruce Springsteen to have "good voices" but they both deliver their songs well and have a unique "style". As do other artists like Tom Petty, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson and a myriad other artists not blessed with good voices, but sing and sell records not withstanding.

So how does one go about developing a style of their own?

I know the first thing I have to combat is my inability to sing on pitch. I have Aaron Anastasi's 60 day program to go through, so I guess that can't hurt! (Anything will be an improvement!) But back to the question of style... any suggestions?

For the record, I'd be ecstatic to have a similar ability/sound to Kris Kristofferson... accepted that as a singer he makes a good songwriter (and that is my focus), but my speaking voice isn't as deep as his so I'm guessing my singing voice will at best be closer to Tom Petty's sound. (I wouldn't be upset with that comparison either, for the record...)

Thanks in advance,

Kel

Edited by Kel

Thanks for your considered response Hobo.

I wasn't so much as wanting to find an excuse to sing badly, as garner some hints as to singing better, and your hinting at manipulation is the sort of thing I was thinking. I hate trial and error. I am a firm believer in learning from other peoples mistakes LOL. When it comes to trial and error I have a very limited imagination.

I have tried singing through my nose... while awkward, I dreas what will happen when I have a cold...

I have tried turning my voice into something like Duke Ellington but I can only last a line, if that... it hurts, and I've read hurt is bad so I stop!

And that's about the limit of my trial and error imagination.

What other "manipulations" can you offer?

Kel

Happy to sound bad, but where is the control gonna come from?

Its reassuring to be in the company of other struggling wannabe-but-determined singers.

I had a limited but measurable degree of success studying a coaching book (singing for dummies). I didnt finish it. I got about one third through and resolved to sing in the car to & from work.

I discovered a range I didnt know about.

I discovered that the technique I had been using for years was bad for me. -Hence shouting myself hoarse after every gig (and I only do background vocals too).

So you Kel are allready on a programme of some sort.  Thats good.

As for style, though it might be possible to 'invent' your style, I dont think thats a good idea. For us vocally challenged types, we need all the options available to us. Choosing to do things one way can only limit you.  

I suggest ignoring style until you have completed your course, and have tried as many ways of using your voice as you can. (You familiar with Captain Beefheart? A highly unusual singer, but he used his voice in many different ways depending on the song. He had a whole bunch of styles)

I found that the book showed how classical singers use thier voices. I know because I started to sound that way when I followed the instruction.

I have no intention of singing my songs in some sort of idiotic psuedo opera voice, but the technique is still useful, and I wouldnt have discovered it on my own.

You sound frustrated and impatient. I share the frustration. The impatience will only hinder you I think. I think that style can be made up of :

1/ Techniques that you are good at.

2/ Ways of dealing with techniques that you are poor at.

3/ Learning how to better write for your voice and

3b/ Learning to adapt the song you aspire to sing to your voice.

4/ The strengths of weaknesses of your physiology. (example: I need more vocal stamina. I need to strengthen my lung power. Until then I have to leave out the long notes and shimering vibrato)

None of the above are designer choices, yet are foundations of style.

additional. I grew up distening to american singers & singers who copied ameican singers. So I sound like that. Now though, I try to minimise that influence. So that is a choice change with only a little to do with technique.

Good luck Kel

Hey Kel,

I echo David's response.  By the way, Springsteen is my musical idol and I love his vocal.  You are right though.  It is not a pure vocal, like lets say a James Taylor might have.  To me, anyone can sing their own tunes as long as they can stay on pitch.  That is the key.  The timber, tone and dynamics of the vocal will change with every performer, but that is why there is chocolate and vanilla.  If you can achieve staying on pitch, you can sing.  I am in the same camp as David.  I really don't like my vocals at all and was embarrassed to even post my songs here when I first began.  If you look at some older recordings of mine I always doubled my vocals because I thought they were so weak and I thought doubling made them sound stronger.  I have gotten more and more confident with each song, but I still can't stand the sound of my own voice.  To me it is like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I think most people don't like the sound of their own vocals.  For me, I have never aimed to be a performer and don't particularly want to be.  I like playing guitar in the background in a garage band.  I don't aim to be out front.  I really only want to record passable demos so others hopefully will find them interesting and possibly record them.  It sounds like you may want a bit more than that.  Regardless, I think "pitch" is the key.  From there, singing YOUR songs over and over again, as only you know how to sing them, will eventually result in a "style."  Style has to come naturally, imo, ... it is not something you manufacture. I hope this gives a bit of insight.  Good luck.

Dave

Great thread, Kel, I count myself among you all here as a singer to whom singing didn't come naturally. And I concur with the great comments and advice from Rudi and Hobo and Dave. I have had some nice compliments from members here and one or two friends but essentially hardly anyone has heard me sing and said they loved my voice. Its that natural thing we're talking about here, what you're born with? but also what you do with what you have.

I had considered the 'that's just my voice' approach for many years as good enough until I took lessons for a year, working on faux-Opera songs I was singing in a community musical. I learnt some stuff that stayed with me, but that was over ten years ago. I now find myself drawing on it more and more as I have tried to improve of late. These are the things I try to remember to do, Kel, that help me and may help you with your question about control:

1. I warm up my voice by humming or
  2. sing scales but don't strain my voice
  3. sometimes I sit but with my chest raised, 
  4. usually I stand, strongly
  5. I make like a funnel or pipe in my throat, it feels like a wide open space for breath, by making my tongue loose the way you say Aaah at the Doctor's
  6. then breathe freely so I can take enough breath for every line or phrase, each one is different
  7. I peel back my lips to look like I'm smiling
  8. I sing from the back of my throat just above the back of my tongue and move up and down in pitch by moving this 'source' of the sound 'up' to my head or 'down' to my throat
  9. I 'feel' the song a la HoboSage
  10. if recording, I do a whole take as a further warm up
  11. I concentrate on pitch a la Dave
  12. I try to use my voice in different ways a la Rudi, then choose the way or ways I like best, whether it be sweet or raspy or deep
  13. by the end of the take I'm either in control or I need to do one or more of the above again
  14. I press Record --- I can't tell you what happens next, that bit is always a mystery but if I've done all the former it usually comes out all the better.

I'm sure this is all covered in books and online too but this is how I have created my 'style', along with my natural physiognomy, my influences, and the demands of the song. Hope you can use some of it.  :detective:

Edited by chased

I love your impression of yourself as a good singer Hobo. That is a classic.

Thanks everyone. I'll soldier on, but I think I've got it sussed not to sound too horrible, just bad, and that's a good enough place to start, I reckon.

Merrily we roll along...

K

I suck at singing too but at least not as bad as when I started. Two things I think helped me the most. 

1. Just singing A LOT. Having just the music for my songs and singing along to them in the car over and over and over has helped somewhat.

2. Confidence. In the beginning I wasn't letting it all out. I couldn't stand to hear my voice. When the vocals started I always shuddered and wished someone else was singing. Eventually I said F-it and just pretended that I was good and started singing from whatever part of my innards would push the most and just let it out. It wasn't until then that I could actually start to control my voice. 

I guess to a lesser extent I'm just singing to my abilities also. I do have songs that I couldn't reach where I wanted and just did what I could do. But that doesn't really make me a better singer, just one who fits his style with his abilities.

Like I said though, I'm not that good of a singer but at least now I can stomach to hear my own voice. 

Edited by just1l

Thanks for chiming in Just & Tom. Kris Kristofferson is my singing hero... ever heard one of his songs go outside his very limited range? Nope!

K

Your right about that. I always wondered how well singers like Bob Dylan or Cher would do on one of the crappy talent shows (idol, voice) that are on now.

It's funny you should say that...

I can't say why, but Australian group The Little River Band seems to have lived on in the US long after they disappeared into the ether down here. I remember listening to an interview with Tim McGraw around 1996, around the time he and Faith Hill did their duet, (I never liked it, so can't remember it's name) but I remember the question was asked by the interviewer what was played on the tour bus, and without any hesitation, McGraw answered, "Little River Band."

The Voice 2 is currently running in Australia. Former LRB front man at the time of McGraw's interview, Steve Wade competed, and didn't make it through to the teams!

I'd never watched the first season of The Voice so I watched this season, until they started choosing the person who they thought might have a better future rather than who performed better on the night. Haven't watched it since.

So yes, your statement about Dylan, Cher, or even Kristofferson, Springsteen,and might I also include Jagger, wouldn't make the grade in today's pop enthused, over produced crap that is mainstream pop music these days. But that's my opinion, and one of the reasons I prefer Soundcloud to radio. Ever since I bought Deep Purple's "Made In Japan" album back in 1974 I've always preferred live albums to studio albums. Even though I know "Live" albums are given production treatment, and only the best performances of any song make the final cut, give it to me real, any day. I urge you all to hear "Slade Alive" The burp alone is worth the price of the album!

Rant over,

Kel

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread made me think about the singer from Spoon, Britt Daniels who has a very unique and recognizable singing style. If you listen to their early work he sings in an early Wire/grunge influenced sort of way but now sings in a clipped modified British hybrid but it fits his voice and the bands sound.

Did he gradually find his style or did he manufacture it? Maybe both. He has mentioned in interviews that he purposely sings with an English accent to get that style even though he's from Texas. Its weird to hear the difference between his talking voice and singing voice... so different.