Your Ad Could Be Here

Traditional Vs. New Media

LayneGreene

I've been thinking a lot recently about traditional media vs. new media as platforms for marketing music. I'm working on a Marketing plan for an album set to be recorded this time next year.. Just wondering what everyone here thoughts are on the topic. 

In what ways have you all used traditional media since the rise of new media (traditional media being things like newspapers, TV ads, posters, etc. and New Media being things more based in e-Marketing like facebook, blogs, site ads, etc). Just looking for some discussion on how to apply different marketing techniques to the music industry I guess? Even the painfully obvious ones, any discussion is good discussion right?

:)

1. the basic concepts are the same though the detail differs.

2. individual technique and platforms don't exist in isolation. The key to any successful plan is timing and coordination.

There are a lot of comparable tasks fulfilling more or less the same function. If you grasp concepts then the exact media used is just a detail. If you get the concepts then adapting to new media trends becomes much easier to do successfully.

Creating a buzz includes all the same key elements it ever did.

One worthwhile point is that both work best when used together (new and old media, old school and new.

It also ties in strongly with leveraging your effort. Some are fairly obvious... publicity shots, promo videos etc can be use on and offline, but you should tie in live appearances, interviews, launch parties etc so you can use them both online and off.

Looling at a simple local gig... there are pre-gig activites and post gig activities. At your gig you directl add people to your mailing list using laptops, cell phones and tablet pcs, you tweet during the gig encouraging people at the gig to upload and share their pics of the event on your facebook page, you upload vids of live performed songs to your youtube channel after each song and live on stage you make mention of tweets, FB posts and Youtube comments... maybe offer a free T-shirt to an audience member who is particularly active blah blah. That's just scratching the surface at one event, ie not pre or post but during.

The key to building buzz oldschool or new is interactivity... and this is where your street team online and offline come into their own, supporting you the band. (most indie bands that have street teams view them as pre-gig assets but they are so much more.

like most creative tools and media, the actual tool and knowing about the need for the media for promo only scratch at the surface. Knowing how to use them is essential, amd must of the difficult part of all that is simply being a student of human nature and taking an interest in basic psychology.

I am on my cell typing this. I will write up some more when I get back to a pute.

• Like 1

Thanks John! This is what I was looking for. I've been reading a lot about new VS old, and it's kind of concerning that it's being approached this way. Lots of people are saying that traditional media is going the way of the dinosaur, especially when aimed at a younger target market. But we see constantly that this isn't the case. 

• 4 weeks later...

They both work roughly the same way, except one ironic detail. Print publications typically require a lead time of up to 3 months BEFORE they go to print. This means that all the artists sending out their new albums on or after it's release date are way too late and are usually wasting their postage. Artists need to start getting used to promoting advance releases (have your CD's manufactured months before your chosen release date) to media. If you do this, you take advantage of a much longer time where your release is "fresh". More publications will write about you.

Most magazines and blogs accept digital submissions although there are holdouts. Make sure you include a personalized introduction and then a concise list of all your links and info. Dropbox is a good place to host your high quality album and promo photos.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to reevaluate those places though. with the rise of new media we're seeing definite changes in traditional media, I don't think this makes traditional media any more or less relevant than it was before, but I think it very much changes the scope of expected gains through solely relying on it.

If I might add something to this, I think perhaps the most important point is to figure out who your audience is and where they're most likely to hear about you.

Tweens and teens are almost certainly on Facebook and Twitter, while adults are more likely to be tuned in to the radio and newspapers. This isn't to say that a comprehensive campaign of both new and old media isn't helpful, but figure out where the greatest return on your investment is and focus your resources there.