Your Ad Could Be Here

Virtual singer

Hi All,

I found a virtual singer software, and I'm quite impressed by the demos.

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/virtualsinger.htm

Features (from the web site):

This module is completely included into Melody/Harmony and appears as a new palette.

The miscellaneous singers are displayed as icons.

Character location on the stage shows: laterally, the voice panning (right or left location in the stereophonic space), by its depth, the voice power (volume).

To each singer, a different voice and language can be related.

Each singer can be fine-tuned, by modifying its timbre, intonation or kind of voice (man, women, child, tenor, soprano, etc) Above this, several different voices will be able to sing at the same time, in several languages:

British English

American English

French

German

Latin Spanish

Italian

Japanese

Finnish

Occitan

Virtual Singer includes the Real Singer II technology: you create a voice from recordings of your own voice.

The voices sound sometimes "autotuned", but most real singers sound the same nowadays anyway.

I would like to know your impressions.

It seems Marc could use something like that.

Personally (if the demos are not tweaked and are actual possibilities) I think I could use it for backup vocals.

Didier

Hi All,

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/virtualsinger.htm

Features (from the web site):

This module is completely included into Melody/Harmony and appears as a new palette.

The miscellaneous singers are displayed as icons.

Character location on the stage shows: laterally, the voice panning (right or left location in the stereophonic space), by its depth, the voice power (volume).

To each singer, a different voice and language can be related.

Each singer can be fine-tuned, by modifying its timbre, intonation or kind of voice (man, women, child, tenor, soprano, etc) Above this, several different voices will be able to sing at the same time, in several languages:

British English

American English

French

German

Latin Spanish

Italian

Japanese

Finnish

Occitan

Virtual Singer includes the Real Singer II technology: you create a voice from recordings of your own voice.

The voices sound sometimes "autotuned", but most real singers sound the same nowadays anyway.

I would like to know your impressions.

It seems Marc could use something like that.

Personally (if the demos are not tweaked and are actual possibilities) I think I could use it for backup vocals.

Didier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sounds good...can finally get rid of dan!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've tried out a lot of these "Virtual" products and I guess they are ok - for their use. (Virtual Drummer, Virtual Guitarist).

For my style of music I always end up wanting the real stuff in there anyway. There's that undefineable difference you get when singing the choir track in 8 or 16 times yourself - different breaths, punctuation, slight difference in attack and pronounciation - which I doubt such software will be able to emulate.

I am saying this slightly tongue in cheek, but isn't this cheating? I know there are so many ways to change your sound with effects and so on but adding artificial vocals (if I have understood this right) and passing them off as you...I mean you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Right, on my next CD the vocals are going to be fantastic. But it's actually Elton John. :D

I am saying this slightly tongue in cheek, but isn't this cheating? I know there are so many ways to change your sound with effects and so on but adding artificial vocals (if I have understood this right) and passing them off as you...I mean you gotta draw the line somewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you can call it cheating as long as you use it for backing vocals and such. And it's potentionally a great tool for non-singer-songwriters (much like I use orchestre samples when orchestrating).

But it's certainly an invitation for a Milli-Vanilli comeback :D

I've tried out a lot of these "Virtual" products and I guess they are ok - for their use. (Virtual Drummer, Virtual Guitarist).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you listened to the MP3 demos on the site?

For my style of music I always end up wanting the real stuff in there anyway. There's that undefineable difference you get when singing the choir track in 8 or 16 times yourself - different breaths, punctuation, slight difference in attack and pronounciation - which I doubt such software will be able to emulate.

I agree, but what if you want female back up vocals? I am not *that* flexible.

Didier

No Dutch version.  >:(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry :(

I guess, for that company, it must depend on opportunities. Occitan is obviously because they're from Toulouse. But why Finnish and not Dutch?

But "Virtual Singer includes the Real Singer II technology: you create a voice from recordings of your own voice.".

I guess from that that you can create any voice you want from samples, not necessarily yours.

Didier

But it's certainly an invitation for a Milli-Vanilli comeback :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we already have them. How do you think most Pop princesses sound without effects and autotune?

Next step is the hologram, to get completly rid of the talent.

Didier

I think we already have them. How do you think most Pop princesses sound without effects and autotune?

Next step is the hologram, to get completly rid of the talent.

Didier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tongue out of cheek now, I think that is the danger and of course it is already happening. Girls Aloud, a popular British group (though God knows why), played live on Top of The Pops and they were awful but sound like they can sing on record. Studio trickery!

I suppose like Finn suggests you have to do it with integrity.

oh do come on - any self-righteous singer/songwriter is not gonna even express the slightest amount of interest in this bullshit. - as a songwriter - either you express yourself emotionally and physically or you don't. full stop.

if it takes umpteenth takes to express your true feelings to a song - then by jove - thats what the song requires - as a lyricist and singer, i personally would hate denying myself the most integral effort on my part.

i disagree with any1 that advocoates this software- why should you? please feel free to argue further against my belief as i'm aware of this software and its popularity, but frankly it frustrates me...

I'm not sure how to put this, but to me, an instrument that only comes from the human body is a sacred thing.

Imitating other things is one thing, but sheesh, if all it takes to put out music with vocals is full digital processing, then fricking Peewee Herman could be the next John Lennon.

I will never, never, never, accept this as long as I live.

Having said that, I think I'll check it out. :-[

Tom

I'm not sure how to put this, but to me, an instrument that only comes from the human body is a sacred thing.

Imitating other things is one thing, but sheesh, if all it takes to put out music with vocals is full digital processing, then fricking Peewee Herman could be the next John Lennon.

I will never, never, never, accept this as long as I live.

Having said that, I think I'll check it out. :-[

Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, no offense but that is really bad! = English version.

I guess I'm not worried now. ;D

I think this could be a useful tool for those of us that aren't Dan of Pilfa confession box. :) As a songwriter that can't really sing, I am continually frustrated with myself. If I could get this software to do it for me, I would be quite happy. Having said that! I think it has a long long way to go before that becomes a reality! At the moment, I see this as a useful tool for backing vocals.

Hi,

oh do come on - any self-righteous singer/songwriter is not gonna even  express the slightest amount of interest in this bullshit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strong opinion, then :)

- as a songwriter - either you express yourself emotionally and physically or you don't. full stop.

Are songwriters supposed to be all singers?

if it takes umpteenth takes to express your true feelings to a song - then by jove - thats what the song requires - as a lyricist and singer, i  personally would hate denying myself the most  integral effort on my part.

I fully agree, as a singer. That's why I wouldn't consider using autotune.

i disagree with any1 that advocoates this software- why should you?

I'm not. Just wanted to share opinions, and possibly have an interesting discussion.

please feel free to argue further against my belief as i'm aware of this software and its popularity, but frankly it frustrates me...

Which I understand.

Didier

Imitating other things is one thing,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was one of the interesting questions: where do you draw the line?

Violin is OK? (does not only come from the human body).

Hand clap is definitely no? (comes only from the human body).

Didier