Your Ad Could Be Here

How To Choose Electro-Acoustic Guitar

Hi,

I ask for advice, which electro-acoustic guitar better to choose.

As I`m not in a band and record songs at home I try to improve the quality of recording in way I can manage.

While recording acoustic quitar via mic it makes a lot of noise as I can`t connect guitar to pc directly. That`s why I decided to buy electro-acoustic one.

I can`t afford expensive guitar though. On some forums it is said that there`re some with reasonable price and good quality (good enough :) ). Could you advice me any brands that can meet these requirements?

Thank you in advance!

Hello Svetlana and welcome to Songstuff.  There are a number of fine companies that make reasonably priced acoustic-electrics. Takamine, Yamaha, Washburn & Seagull are among many.  Of course, it all depends upon how these guitars sound and feel to  you.  There are many many models to choose from, different electrical systems, woods, body shapes.  It is all personal taste, but certainly the brands I mentioned have some finely crafted reasonable priced guitars.  Good luck.

Dave

• Like 1

Hello Svetlana and welcome to Songstuff.  There are a number of fine companies that make reasonably priced acoustic-electrics. Takamine, Yamaha, Washburn & Seagull are among many.  Of course, it all depends upon how these guitars sound and feel to  you.  There are many many models to choose from, different electrical systems, woods, body shapes.  It is all personal taste, but certainly the brands I mentioned have some finely crafted reasonable priced guitars.  Good luck.

Dave

Hello, Dave,

thank you very much!

Do you really like the acoustic you have now?  If so, then you should think seriously about getting a pickup/pre-amp system for your current guitar, instead of buying a new guitar.  There are different manufactures making some really good systems that attach easily and unobtrusively in the sound hole (some even with an onboard chromatic tuner) and don't require you to make any alterations to your guitar other than swapping out your basic end pin for their end pin jack (line out). Google "acoustic guitar preamps" and start educating yourself about the different types of pickup types and configurations, what's available from various manufacturers in your price range, and what kind of reviews those units have received from players.  Any music store that sells guitar could probably install it for you if need be.

BTW, unless the "noise" problem you have now is ambient noise from your room or you have a really bad mic, running direct won't make things better. Besides, isn't that noise going to be there when you record vocal tracks with the mic?  I'm not understanding clearly why mic-ing the guitar is so problematic for you.  So, maybe being sure you can't get a good sound with your mic should be the first step.  Normally, you get a better sound with a decent mic recording in a decent-sounding room than you can get with a pickup - assuming you have mutitrack software that let's you record the guitar track and the vocal track separately.  What's your setup?  What mic?  What recording software?  A mixer?  If so, what kind?  And, what digital interface or soundcard gets you into your PC?  Is your room where you record fairly quiet when you record?   Where's the "noise" coming from?  When you record vocals are they noisy too?  Who won the 1936 World Series?   :)

Hello, HoboSage,

first of all thank you for advice! (about improving my current guitar). I`ll search about it.

While working with another musicians and communicating with their producer and discussing things we came to conclusion it ll be really better to change guitar to electro-acoustic. I can record my voice without noise I have about 5 mics)), one is professional and others are simple. I have Steinberg cubase 5 that I dont use actually as it quite complicated even for professional musicians (it was adviced by professionals to use smth simplier at least for the first time).

And, yes, my room is ordinary one)) I dont have studio cabinet yet, unfortunately. So the easiest way is to buy guitar that can connect to pc directly.

But I ll search what you`d recommended, maybe it can be a solution as well...

Edited by Svetlana

• 1 month later...

Hello .. i think you should be more precise about your budget ..

anyway in your case that's what i would do:

I would go to a shop and try some second hand guitar ..

I play guitar from 10 years (4 years seriously) and i could tell you that the only way to pick your guitar is to try it ...

Anyway i would go for an Epiphone les paul ... you can find it about 200-300 $ (used ) and they sound great

Fit and feel come first.

There is no point in having a guitar that you don't feel comfortable playing. I've tried some guitars that others have loved the feel while I couldn't tolerate it.  Some people can adapt better to different instruments better then other but there is no one size fits all.

Sound comes second.

An old man once told me if you find the gal of our dreams.  You'd better like the sound of her voice because you'll be hearing it till the day you die.  Most Short scale guitars sound "brittle" to me even though I like the feel.,  Brittle isn't something that goes away with lots of eq.

Don't be afraid of the used market.

A well cared for and well built guitar can last a lifetime.  Granted a refret job can be expensive. Most guitars have nickel frets. The higher end ones use stainless hardened steel frets.  Granted used guitars don't come with a manufactuers warranty.  However most of the issues that could arise during the first year are generally resolved in the first year. When an acoustic steel string guitar is well played over the years (not hidden in a closet or tucked under a bed) The sound mellows

Layaway

Many ma and pa stores are happy to do 90 days same as cash some may even go as far as 180 days. You don't need a credit card to do a layaway. I've done layaway in the past and it was...well like waiting for christmas.  It gave me something to look foreward to.

• 2 weeks later...

Some greay input here! I'm wiyh hobo and pre amps. But if you must ,look around new and used even Some of the online places have Some great deals.and most have pro's going through their stuff to ensure quality.But I agree hold it play it get it's feel hear it's tone. Looked at 10-15 Martins before I got mine, because I felt it,s tone inside . Good luck ,hope all this info helps you on this road to finding your next great part of your. Music!

Rock on!