Your Ad Could Be Here

Hip hop on the up.

The Only Way Is Up: Hip-Hop Still Selling Strong

I'm a little negative toward some genre's so I'll say nutting! ;)

Yup, they've tried to "kill" hip-hop for a while now but it keeps coming back. I think it might be because it is this generation's dance music and it could likely have as long a life as Strauss' walzes or the Jive

Yup, they've tried to "kill" hip-hop for a while now but it keeps coming back. I think it might be because it is this generation's dance music and it could likely have as long a life as Strauss' walzes or the Jive

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes! Finn The Master is right!, you may not like it but is strong as rock'n'roll.

and ofcourse I don't like eminem stuff, but I do like guys like Roots Manuva...

and talking about Roots... have you heard the Cinematic Orchestra???!

highly recomended stuff. and more if you are into jazz.

• 2 weeks later...
yes! Finn The Master is right!, you may not like it but is strong as rock'n'roll.

and ofcourse I don't like eminem stuff, but I do like guys like Roots Manuva...

and talking about Roots... have you heard the Cinematic Orchestra???!

highly recomended stuff. and more if you are into jazz.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cinematic Orchestra totally SWING!

I've got everything they've ever done. Including the DVDs!

Favourite tracks? How about "All That You Are" or "Panoramica"??

BS

Cinematic Orchestra totally SWING!

I've got everything they've ever done. Including the DVDs!

Favourite tracks? How about "All That You Are" or "Panoramica"??

BS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"All That You Are" is AWESOME I almost cry the first time I heard it...

I have all their cd's, got them by mail from ninja tune.

what about the dvd's? are they concerts or what?

Are they hip hop or jazz?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To my ear they're more jazz than hip hop.

But to a jazzer they'd be hiphop. And to a hiphop fan they'd be jazz! ::)

What I do know is that they play *real* instruments e.g. acoustic

bass, piano and drums, and use only minimal amounts of studio

trickery in their music.

I posted a while back saying I'd bought the "ZEN CD" compilation

on the Ninja Tune label...Cinematic Orchestra feature on that...

BS

"All That You Are" is AWESOME I almost cry the first time I heard it...

I have all their cd's, got them by mail from ninja tune.

what about the dvd's?  are they concerts or what?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey yeah! What a beautiful track - simple but delicious!

The DVD - well I exaggerated - I have one!

The one I have is the Zen TV Ninja Tune compilation - features the video for

"All That You Give" - nicely done.

I think there is another one out called "motion" which I want to

get next...

BS

Hey yeah! What a beautiful track - simple but delicious!!

The one I have is the Zen TV Ninja Tune compilation - features the video for

"All That You Give" - nicely done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw the video, nice but the music sounds better with your eyes closed in that song... at least for me...

I think that I read in computer music that is swinscoe the one that builds the songs choping from improvistaion tracks by the band, then he shows that to the band and they add things and so on... do you know something about it? also I think that on the cd says that in "all that you give" there's a sample from a santana song...

For all you guys click here, watch the video and hear the music.

fontella bass sings about her late husband Lester Bowie, jazz trumpeter of the Art Ensemble of Chicago. he died in nov 8, 1999.

and if you check THIS link on sunday you can hear all songs from their latest album.

I saw the video, nice but the music sounds better with your eyes closed in that song... at least for me...

I think that I read in computer music that is swinscoe the one that builds the songs choping from improvistaion tracks by the band, then he shows that to the band and they add things and so on... do you know something about it? also I think that on the cd says that in "all that you give" there's a sample from a santana song...

For all you guys click here, watch the video and hear the music.

fontella bass sings about her late husband Lester Bowie, jazz trumpeter of the Art Ensemble of  Chicago. he died in nov 8, 1999.

and if you check THIS link on sunday you can hear all songs from their latest album.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey thanks for the info!

No I didn't know much about TCO's approach to songwriting. The tracks certainly all do have a good "live" feel to them.

And all I knew was that Fontella Bass was the singer - was Lester Bowie a famous jazzer then?

Can't think what the Santana sample might be - the main instrumental parts I can hear are

-acoustic drums

-upright bass

-harp

-nice synth strings

-electric piano

-vox

maybe I missed something?!

BS

on the cd says: "incorporating elements othe composition `angel of air´ written by D. C. Santana and T. Coster..."

(they surely missed an "f" right there... how they don't check those things before the cd is on the street???).

after some google research...

the song "angel of air" is the las song of the santana album "Illuminations" released on 1974.

that song and others from that album were selected by Bill Laswell for a remix album called "Divine Light"... he took some other songs from the "Love Devotion Surrender" album by John McLaughlin and Santana which is one of my all times favorites...

Wow.

Cinematic Orchestra very cool, very hip, and very groovy.

Thanks for the introduction.

A definite "must-have".

But it has f*ck-all to do with hip-hop, n'est-ce pas?

And the only thing "jazz" about it is the players and their taste and technique.

Fontella Bass still in great voice, she has to be in her 60s by now, big musical family she comes from, lucky woman.

Yes, the good doctor, Lester Bowie, is a famous jazzer.

Also a very amusing cat, great to hang out with.

Did great work for black US culture.

on the cd says: "incorporating elements othe composition `angel of air´ written by D. C. Santana and T. Coster..."

(they surely missed an "f" right there... how they don't check those things before the cd is on the street???).

after some google research...

the song "angel of air" is the las song of the santana album "Illuminations" released on 1974.

that song and others from that album were selected by Bill Laswell for a remix album called "Divine Light"... he took some other songs from the "Love Devotion Surrender" album by John McLaughlin and Santana which is one of my all times favorites...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check it out! Cheers Harri-O!!!

I still wonder what the "elements" are - maybe the string pads?

BS

Wow.

Cinematic Orchestra very cool, very hip, and very groovy.

Thanks for the introduction.

A definite "must-have".

But it has f*ck-all to do with hip-hop, n'est-ce pas?

And the only thing "jazz" about it is the players and their taste and technique.

Fontella Bass still in great voice, she has to be in her 60s by now, big musical family she comes from, lucky woman.

Yes, the good doctor, Lester Bowie, is a famous jazzer.

Also a very amusing cat, great to hang out with.

Did great work for black US culture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lazz - you're right we're getting way OT but isn't this great!? :)

I'm totally intrigued now. Fontella Bass does indeed sound wonderful. Any recommended works?

Glad we got the TCO message across to someone. I think their best album is actually

the one before "Everyday" which is a collection of remixes - much more "cinematic"!!

My favourite being a Piero Umiliani track called Panoramica. I understand from a quick google around he's an Italian film composer - a fantastic piece of music...

BS

Fontella Bass ..... Any recommended works?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know enough to make recommendations for you.

Sorry.

What I do know is that her mum, Martha, was one of the Clara Ward Singers, an early gospel group that toured with Aretha's dad when he was preaching on a circuit. Fontella started playing piano for 'em when she was nine until the age of sixteen (I would have been around ten at the time she stopped doing that and just getting into discovering music). So that helps explain the solid roots background and musical upbringing. Later on she played piano for Little Milton's band. And then the first time she impinged on my life was in 1965 with the release first of "Don't Mess Up A Good Thing", a duet with Bobby McLure, and a few months later with her big hit "Rescue Me" and it's driving signature bass figure.

Her M.D. at that time was Joseph Bowie, whose brother Lester she married.

Heven't heard much from her since, except the occasional parasitic sampling of her big hit for dance re-mixes. She had kids to raise in the meantime. I even missed her time with the Art Ensemble in Paris and the album she made with 'em. Didn't even know about it 'til I googled for her in response to this thread. Always knew about her family connections somehow, though.

Don't think you could go wrong checking out her early R&B stuff.

Still that recognisable deep dark rich velvet sound.

I want to find the later work now.

She's 65, by the way.

Amazing.

Yeah - this is great.