Your Ad Could Be Here

Turning Songs Around

Many years back I was listening to NPR (national public radio) when a string quartet came on and played a Jimi Hendrix tune.  I thought wow... that's different.  Then I saw this americana band (bluegrass) live playing all these classic soul/funk songs on traditional instruments and in the bluegrass style.  They were great.

Today I saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3BAF_15yQ

Which is a wonderful treatment of the song.

What "standard" have you "heard in a new light recently?

That's a good and interesting question to raise Tapper. In and with the music I grew up with, there's nothing but versions. I'll come back with a shortlist, because it has to be good to pass the meter :)

These are not necessarily new versions, but new to me at one time and now hopefully to others perhaps :)

I will Survive - Chantilly Savage (sure that's her name)

Wild Horses - Susan Boyle

Anyone Who Had A Heart - Luther Vabdross

(more to come)

The jazz legacy is filled with interpertations.  If you copy things exactly as the original it was shunned.  The honor was to bring your own gift to the song.

Sadly the "Smooth Jazz" movement does not retain the tradition. It seems they have a goal of trying to retain all the character of the original. much like your average cover band.

The wife and I were at Merlefest several years ago,it's a bluegrass/Americana festival held in the mountains of North Carolina in memory of Doctor Watson's son, anyways we were watching a bluegrass quartet perform when they broke out Superstitious! The band was Old School Freight Train look them up you won't be disappointed. Awesome musicians!

There was a band down here during the nineties called "The Far Gone Beauties" (say it quickly) and they did a Bluegrass version of absolutely everything. However they were stumped in a challenge on radio once when it was suggested they banjo up "Midnight Oil's US Forces!

Kel

• 4 weeks later...