Your Ad Could Be Here

Song Writing Software

• Noob

Based on Price and Ease what is the best available Song Writing Software. I am looking at:

Forte

Sibelius

Finale

so far they all seem Sweet and Sour as far a ease of use, cost, etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Don Parent

Warzone Blues Band

Edited by tunesmithth
Removed Don's book advertisement. For future reference Don, you are NOT allowed to plug for-sale reading material here.

• Noob

No Problem. The only reason I plug my book is a try to contact & help as many veterans as I can reach out to.

Don

From those three you've mentioned Don, I recall they are notation programs, for actually writing the music sheets yes? That is what you're after yes? There's so much software today, just wanted to clarify.

• Noob

Yes I  am just getting back into music playing (guitar) and song writing. I am amazed at all the things available today.

I want a simple to use basic songwriting software for guitar and voice. The ones I have looked at are pretty trick but more than what I need. Consequently that makes them more complex to use.

I want to be able to write and edit lyrics, guitar chords, and individual notes.

I am not writing for other instruments because the guys I play music with just need a basic outline of my ideas and the lyrics.

Thanks for any help

Don

Edited by john
Link removed

Are you on mac or pc?

If mac, it sounds like garageband is all you need.

Edited by Just1L

Are you on mac or pc?

Good question :yes:

Thought they did a Garage Band for Windows, no?

There's something I have buried somewhere, have to root around to find a name. Was pretty simple and sure it did all 3 things you want :yes:

But GB does the same also.

I agree Steve, and those names he gave, they're top drawer notation stuff I'm sure, for piano's etc.

• Noob

I don't mind spending a buck or two. I am on PC not Mac. I buddy of mine in The Steve Miller Band also mentioned Garage Band. In my digging around I thought I saw GB for PC. Garage Band comes up a lot in conversations. I will see what I can dig up.

Thanks

Don

• Noob

I guess I am confusing notation software with products like Garage Band. I just looked at Mix Craft which is like GB for Windows. I already have a Fender G-Dec 3 which I can mix and play my music through midi and my laptop.

I do want notation software but I don't need all the bells and whistles that tends to make them more expensive. The expensive ones have a much larger learning curve.

I'll check out Power Tab. I don't need software that is free and would love to find something around $100 or $150 range that would fit my bill.

I guess I could go for the Sibelius/Forte grade software and learn to just use the features I need but they get pricey.

Thanks

Don

Well there's free notation stuff out there. If that's all you're missing, just get that. Mixcraft is a mixer/DAW, on the low end - very good for what it is. But that doesn't sound like that's what you want/need.

I'm trying to grasp what it actually is you want to do. I think you want to put your Fender through to your laptop, the app recognise what you're playing and apply that to sheet music and then allow you to write lyrics that can also go onto the sheet music - yes?

• Noob

Yeah I just want basic notation but I like being able to hear the notes as I input them. Minor things like that. I like to use my guitar and sit with my laptop. Just play and sing my ideas. Don't need to hear them back at that stage. Just use my laptop to write and edit lyrics, chords and notes while I am diddling on the guitar.

When I set aside the guitar years ago there was nothing like all of this and I guess I am overwhelmed by all the cool stuff. There is so much good stuff out there that I don't know which direction to spend my money. What is good is that most allow you to try them for a trial. I don't want to start spending money on trial and error. I haven't found one that fits in my wheelhouse yet.

I'll try any that you all suggest and really appreciate the input

Don

PS: If there is something out there that can actually take my music as I play and sing and then write and print it in sheet music that would be a mind blower. A little too SyFy. I am sure something like that will be available in the near future but at what cost:) 

Edited by Warzone PTSD

• Noob

Wow I am really surprised how easy MuseScore is and it's free. If I want to help them and get unlimited storage it's like $4.00 a month. I'll let you all know later how it works out but so far so good

Don

• Noob

Thanks Steve. I will check out both. I am having a blast working on music again especially with all the great stuff online. For one GuitarTricks.com is a lot of fun.

I decided to get back involved in music as a way to raise money to help veterans. I am a 100% disabled Vietnam Vet and I write books and build websites to help other veterans.

I decided to write an albums worth of music all relating to veterans issues and go into the studio with a band made entirely of disabled vets. Gigantic niche market., I have a really good disabled vet bass player and hooking up with some others. Looking for more. 

I have friends that are touring pros that want to help in the background. I will reach out to people like Gary Sinise and his Lt Dan Band. He is really involved in veterans issues. The proceeds from anything I can put together will go to veterans causes.

Don

Edited by Warzone PTSD
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Noob

#1 for Rapid Composer from Music Developments. It was insanely difficult to get into a couple of years ago when I had the demo, and I gave up, but more recently one guy on his own made close to twenty Youtube videos of how it works and now it's insanely easy. Basically what it does is generate phrases that you can keep randomly trying for until you get one you like, like say for a piano, or guitar picking. It also is a VST if you want to work with it inside your DAW. I believe the MIDI is exportable too if you want to edit it further. But for a songwriting tool it's one of the best I've known about and the developer is quick with updates and he listens to his customers. The phrases development is increasing in leaps and bounds too. Really nice tool.

Someone is going to kill me for saying this.

Band in a box - http://pgmusic.com

I always right from the chord progression first.  I do a quick draft by laying down the chord names then pick a style that may not be exactly what I want but still close enough.  Once I get the general idea down I'll import it into real band (which is included in biab) or Mixcraft and lay down new parts more closely aligned with my initial concept.  A lot of times the band in a box arrangement is so good I'll just drop in a few guitar parts and something for the melody.

• 9 months later...