Your Ad Could Be Here

Insightful & Enlightening Music Documentaries - Post Here

Hi Everyone :)

Via The Song Title Association Game (http://forums.songstuff.com/topic/7683-song-title-association-game/), which by the way is a great way to come across music new to you :yes:SO GO PLAY THE GAME  :lol: , I came across one such song with a great Vocalist and sound - Bering Strait (Thx Tapper Mike).

It turns out they made an Award Winning Documentary video, released back in 2003 -

"The Ballad of Bering Strait"

There's also a couple of albums made too.

But the thing about this documentary was the chance to see the progress of a GOOD band, great musicians, with good songs, dedicate their lives to music and each other, and move to Nashville, and follow their 'music career' - all the ups and down, highs and lows etc.

It's available to watch on Hulu, but outside of the States, it's damn hard to track it down :yes:

But well worth it if you do.

This is my first Music Documentary I'm recommending.

If you've seen it or do watch it, please post what you think below.

If you've seen a music related documentary that you think gives a great insight into the world of the Music Industry, please also post below :yes:

Here's the Hulu link to watch it from - http://www.hulu.com/...laylist_id=2331

My second recommendation is a fairly recent documentary called:

"20 Feet From Stardom"

This looks into the world of Backing Vocalists - really interesting and has some absolutely amazing vocalists, and shows the kind of life they live - kind of like a session musician - very tough!

There's some great history with some of the singers interviewed. Well worth getting/watching it :yes:

Tell me what you think please :)

I've got that to see yet Dave, thanks for the reminder :yes:

One I do want to recommend, but can't recall the title, is the Foo Fighters documentary from a few years back. About how Foo Fighters began etc, after Nirvana. It was really open about the bands inhouse fighting etc. It's one of my favourite music docu's actually :yes:

This style of docu I really enjoy, because maybe I'm not keen on the genre or band from what I've heard, but these docu's get me inside the band and I change my perception. Forgive my ignorance but until I watched 'that' docu, I had no idea who Dave Grohl was (head stuck in Jazz/Blues/Old RnB/Doo-Wop/Classical/Swing/Soul/etc)

Thanks for the reminder again :)

though a bit overtly promotional for the band

I guess my not knowing, it was all new to me, so it didn't come off that way for me. I got caught up in the emotional state he was in after Nirvana, trying to redefine who is was by being upfront of a band and all the hassles of band members coming and going etc, but out of all of that, he created a successful band.

Like I said, I really enjoyed Back & Forth :yes:

I too enjoyed Back & Forth

While I love hulu there are quite a few "rockumentaries" that I thought were quite badly done. Most notably the eric clapton one.

If you want a real history lesson check out Jazz by Ken Burns

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Film-By-Ken-Burns/dp/B000BITUEI/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0

http://www.pbs.org/jazz/index.htm

I remember really really enjoying the show when it originally aired.

Somebody put the PBS Rock and Roll documentary from PBS online  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL390141A638523E5F

While I was less then pleased with the treatment of metal the rest of the documentary is great.

I saw Dave Grohl's  (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) documentary Sound City a couple of months ago on cable.  I really liked it.  It tells the story of the famous recording studio from its inception, through the major impact it had on popular music and many, many famous artists, and it's eventual demise.  The film has a lot of great studio performances from eclectic lineups too.  I thought it was really cool that Grohl acquired the famous Neve counsel from the studio - keeping the Sound City sound still alive in some respects.

That's one of my favorite docs. I always liked Grohl, but that film really shows how much he cares about music.

I can't remember the name of the doc, but there was a recent one about The Eagles that was incredible (about 2.5 hours long too)

I also really love "Don't Look Back". It's a documentary of Bob Dylan when he was in tour in the late 60s. Very cool stuff.

• 2 weeks later...