Your Ad Could Be Here

Best Nonsense Lyrics?

What are some of your favorite nonsense lyrics? You know the ones that have a lovely melody, pretty flowing words, but all in all don't make a lick of sense no matter how hard you analyze them!

I know it's hard to say what exactly "nonsense" is. After all anything can have some sort of latent meaning buried far beneath it. If you can't say that a certain song is nonsensical then I'll gladly like to see some of your silliest lyrics or lines shared. : )

Lennon of the Beatles might have been the king of nonsense/silly lyrics (I am the Walrus has to be the first that comes to mind) and they are still pure magic as songs.

My favorite Come Together

He roller coaster
He got early warning
He got muddy water
He one Mojo filter
He say one and one and one is three
Got to be good looking
Cause he's so hard to see

With the kicker coming in that last line delivered with such suave and cool.

And another favorite Dreams Never End from New Order

My promise could be your fiend
A given end to your dreams
A simple movement or rhyme
Could be the smallest of signs
We'll never know what they are or care
In it's escapable view
There's no escape so few in fear
Given a changing value

This comes from an unlikely source in the band's bassist Peter Hook who is not exactly remembered as a songwriter, and definitely not a lyricist. It's more sombre, and collected than Come Together, but this line surprisingly captures everything New Order would be about, looking at it on a deeper level. It was their introduction to the world following the death of Ian Curtis and a final farewell to Joy Division. And unproblematically the thoughts are jarring, disconnected, the meaning rather skewed and yet it's perfect! (at least to me)

There have to be plenty more out there. Some of the best are the nonsensical lines that come right along with more meaningful lines.

• Like 1

My namesake so to speak:

"Blinded By The Light"

Words & Music by Bruce Springsteen 1973

Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing, the calliope crashed to the ground
Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot, snappin' his fingers, clappin' his hands
And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers, "Daddy's within earshot, save the buckshot, turn up the band"

And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the East
He says, "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone, watchin' the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah, he was blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
He got down but he never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes
She said, "I'll turn you on, sonny, to something strong if you play that song with the funky break"
And Go-Cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer, playin' backyard bombardier
Yes, and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent some dude with a calling card, he said, "Do what you like, but don't do it here"
Well, I jumped up, turned around, spit in the air, fell on the ground and asked him which was the way back home
He said, "Take a right at the light, keep goin' straight until night, and then, boy, you're on your own"
And now in Zanzibar, a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car, hummin' a lunar tune
Yes, and the avatar said, "Blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar, we're gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon"
And some kidnapped handicap was complainin' that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night
Well, I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw a gap but figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Oh, but Mama, that's where the fun is
I was blinded
I was blinded
I was blinded

• Like 1

I think Beck is the master of lyrical non-sequitors:

Mixed Bizness:

"Do you wanna ride on the Baltic sea?

I'll be your mistress C.O.D
I'll comb your hair re-write your diary
Pour champagne on a honeybee"

Loser:

"in the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

butane in my veins and I'm out to cut the junkie

With the plastic eyeballs

spray-paint the vegetables

dog food stalls with the beefcake pantyhose...

• Like 1