Your Ad Could Be Here

Superstitious Songwriters

Are songwriters like athletes?? âš¾ï¸ Do you have a lucky pen? A lucky shirt? Do you not shave when you are on a writing streak? Do you not change your underwear? 😠Do you have a routine that seems to make you write better????

Edited by CassieP

I haven't written many lyrics yet. I seem to write them best when I'm in that certain set of mind, when I'm full of inspiration. For writing guitar riffs and music, I seem to do best when I have drinken. Haha other than that I can't write anything good. 

• Like 1

I used to always scribble barely legible lyrics in a ratty little green spiral that I somehow ended up with but now I use my phone.

But when I print them out I always keep them in my High School graduation binder. I have no idea why but they have stayed there and never been lost through "many, many" years of moves and life changes. I guess it's my lucky notebook!!!

I have no sense of attachment for the purpose of luck, my routine such as it is revolves around basic relaxation and activities to kickstart creativity.

My exact approach varies, I find benefits to pencil on paper, pen on paper or words typed into a phone, tablet or computer. I do have favourite paper and pen or pencil, but that comes down purely to comfort and aesthetics. For example how comfortable the writing implement us reduces unnecessary distractions. How pleasing the line it leaves on the page is yet again a similar consideration.

• Like 1

I don't have 'good luck' items as such, but have a preference for slim, fine-point pens if I do use one. 

Twice a year I take part in a songwriting challenge (FAWM in February and 50-90 from July to October), and before I begin I absolutely must have my normally chaotic workspace in impeccable order. It's as if I'm synching my external and internal world in preparation for the - I always hope -onslaught of creativity. ;)

During the course of the challenges, the workspace naturally becomes a disaster area, but somehow I can ignore it and forge ahead at the Muse's urgings. ;)

I love an elegant ball-point pen, and can spend up to half an hour in a shop trying out and deciding on which one to buy (even if it's only going to cost me a couple of euros). And like John, I enjoy the aesthetics of writing on certain kinds of paper. 

I don't have special notebooks, though. Unfortunately, I jot things down on whatever is at hand, and the result is chaos. During the challenges, however, to keep myself sane I create folders on my computer and make a point of putting everything in there.

I really do need to print out all of my lyrics and organise them in huge ring-binders.

Donna

Edited by DonnaMarilyn
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

A bit of sleep deprivation usually kickstarts my composition motor. That coupled with no other distracting people present and an easily replayed track/beat to hear.

I do not have any lucky item of apparel but I do prefer to have clothes on, especially if I'm writing at Starbucks.

• Like 1