Your Ad Could Be Here

How To Protect Audio Tracks From Copying Online

Hello,

I try to find out ways of protecting tracks against copying them.

The easiest (as it s well-known) is to use watermarks, but it actually annoys while litening to the track.

But I know another way: during listening to a track you can`t hear any extra sound but if you try to copy it the result will be awful - the sound will be with a very low quality. But I can`t find companies which provide this service.

Has anybody heard about them? or how this option is called correctly?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Svetlana

Hi Svetlana

I believe you might be talking about changing the checksum on the file? Files have a checksum to ensure that data is not corrupted. This is definitely the case with CDs. When copying the data the programme doing the copying notices the mismatch and either tries to repair it and so corrupts the actual audio, or it fails to copy. With CDRs the error correction is built into the hardware, meaning that to copy it a genuine checksum needs to be calculated by the copying software. Few programmes can do this. I've always just called this "checksum copy protection".

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi Svetlana

I believe you might be talking about changing the checksum on the file? Files have a checksum to ensure that data is not corrupted. This is definitely the case with CDs. When copying the data the programme doing the copying notices the mismatch and either tries to repair it and so corrupts the actual audio, or it fails to copy. With CDRs the error correction is built into the hardware, meaning that to copy it a genuine checksum needs to be calculated by the copying software. Few programmes can do this. I've always just called this "checksum copy protection".

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thank you!

Will try to find out those progs.

• 7 months later...