Your Ad Could Be Here

Problems With Guitar Strings

So something really odd has been happening when I tune my guitar. Normally strings snap because they are tightened too tightly BUT my high E string, including the one I applied that's less than a month old, snapped today when tuning down to a D. Why is this happening?

When you say "snap", are you talking about a popping noise, or the string actually breaking?

Actually breaking. 

It happened when you were tuning down to D.

If you change tunings often, the strings will wear very quickly. They are also more likely to break while tuning too.

When I had just one acoustic, I was constantly changing tunings to open D, G & C and back to concert again. At that stage I would replace my strings after a week. If I left them on much longer they sounded dead, and yes, I would turn my head away while retuning to protect my eyes because this was when they were likely to snap.

Okay sooooooo......

What should do to remedy the issue? I don't have money to get like 3-4 different guitars, let alone guitar strings. 

Where exactly is it breaking [bridge/nut/tuner,etc]

This could give you a clue as to what might be going on,like a sharp surface or something binding the string and keeping it from freely moving across a surface as it should.

I used to break them alot due to extreme bending until I switched to Ernie Ball strings,and have had very good luck with them.

Pretty much the only time I'll break one is if I get totally stupid with the whammy bar.

Then again if its something that just started occurring,and you haven't changed anything on the guitar or the type of strings your using,you might have just gotten a bad batch of strings.

Although most of my guitars have trem's,I have a few hardtails that I'll tune anywhere from standard down to A,and the only time I have this problem is if I was well overdue to change strings to start with [like a couple years!!!]

Hope you get her figured out. 

Edited by davidmichael

If no one else has mentioned this, Try...

Take a pencil and rub the lead on the Nut slots and your Bridge slots the Graphite helps to keep from getting caught up?

Edited by EJB