Your Ad Could Be Here

What's Your Take On Creating An Image With Costumes

• 4 years later...

It’s a nightmare to read as the html is all on display… needs an edit or a bug fix.

John is right! I copied it into a new HTML document and it still just read as bad code so I didn't read it.

In general I've always favored stage clothing.

• Noob

I asked Deborah Paulino, custom stage wear designer at RFDecouture in San Francisco. Deborah says stage wear that stands out is a must! What to wear and how much depends on the act, context and audience.

A lot of costume, such as MAW, is cabaret. Nothing wrong with that, just a different act and look to, say, Fat Freddy’s Drop. FFD lockdown stage look is grunge mixed with funkadelic. FFD are a funk reggae live trance christian band. Mouthful, but great musicians. There are advantages to full costume cabaret and anonymous artists, as touring acts can explain. 

On the other hand Jimmy Hendrix’s, Janis Joplin’s, New York Dolls’ and Rolling Stone’s stage looks were created by fashion stylists. Such as Marlene Dupont, hired by their record labels. Tie dye t-shirts were invented by Rit Dyes' marketing manager. A promotion at Woodstock Festival in 1969 for Rit's new vivid color chemical dies. Mix psychedelic drugs with any clothes and it becomes cult fashion. Except EDM, where anything goes, including gay bondage. Johnny Rotten’s punk look was created by fashion designer Vivian Westwood  

In each case there’s the artist, circumstance and a third party set of eyes. Define a look that’s contemporary to your here and now and original. Ask your besties, or record label, if it looks good on you on camera and stage.

Keep in touch for when the full version of this article is published. 

(Sorry, couldn’t ready your piece. It was copied into a blog, which is rendered php, not an unformatted html page:) 

• Like 1