Your Ad Could Be Here

Good reference tracks- Suggestions?

I purchased MCompare ( a Melda product) awhile back which is a plug in that compares audio from professional masters to your projects. I've always liked the concept of  using professionally mastered work as a reference in a way that makes the playing field level. So far I haven't used it because I need to find some good reference material.

Without something like MCompare, the possibility exists that you won't hear a true comparison because of different volumes, listening on different systems etc.

I'm not here to promote a plug in. I'm mainly interested in finding good reference material. I play primarily acoustic music with an Irish /Celtic flair, so I'm looking for audio mastered material along those lines. I checked out the Bothy band, but much of their recordings are from the 70's and not the best quality online. I also considered using some well mastered country or folk music that has a nice balanced mix.

Any recommendations?

I'm a fan of this version of Wild Mountain Thyme in terms of the performance, arrangement and definitely the production ... it's a more pop/rock type production rather than raw folk, and a very polished production I think.

Also, it's hard to beat Ian Anderson's work. The sound quality here isn't perfect due to being on YouTube but if you get the originals they sound amazing. It's folk-rock but still... great reference in my opinion.

Thank you Snowman, Dek and Tom.

I'm checking these out now. Listened to the YouTube videos Dek posted. Couldn't help but also notice the wonderful use of left and right on guitar parts. Something I've done but not nearly as well. The slight vocal doubling effect on " Dun Ringill" gives a wonderful spacial lift to the vocal. Lots of detail in the mids. No mud at all. These are perfect.

I'll just need to get good versions into MCompare. I am aiming for a more current sound. Not outright pop or rock but maybe a few elements from those. The project I'm working at now has some light drums this is the beginning of it HERE. So far only half of a mix built. Parchisme is working with a lyric for this. But maybe this will give you some idea of the kind of thing I'm doing, though you've found what I think I need already! 

I have some decent tracks now. I have a few CD's and my windows 10 rips them into the player on the computer. The only problem is I can't seem to get the tracks into MCompare.

MCompare will import any sound file that isn't in windows medial player. Like the old stuff I've mixed. WM seems to be a locked system ugh!

For reference tracks, it depends on what they are references for. Mixing? Production? Even mastering.

I use a few, genre specific tracks that give me the chance to evaluate how the elements in a mixintegrate, and the density compared to clarity of the mix: The low and high end detail and balance, the overall impact of the mix, and of course where the vocals sit within the reference track.

Then there is just how much emotion a reference mix conveys to the listener. That’s a fundamental component to any mix.

I would suggest, if you want a modern relevance, you should use a tracks that are no more than 5 years old as a reference. That way, no matter the genre, you get the current way to mix, produce and master the track.

I will dig out a few suggestions, but really it comes down to something that has the sound YOU want to achieve

Thanks John!

In my case, The acoustic sounds need to shine well. Plenty of bass but not low bass.  It can be tough to find a close match it seems no matter what the genre is. And then I'm faced with online mp3 downloads and Win 10 not allowing me to get at CD tracks unless I download some kind of a converter. Much like iTunes, the windows medial player wants to be the focus of my world.

I like the idea of 5 years or less mixes. I could get by with maybe a high resolution compressed file if all else fails. Like a high res mp3 or a FLAC file. In order to use MCompare, I would rather have a 16/44.1 minimum. MCompare imports files browser style. .wma files don't play that game. 

We visited a few local libraries that sell CDs or rent them out. I found one that was  a close match. There's one really big book store basically run by a hoarder who has a little bit of everything. He's about an hour away, but it might be worth the trip to get hard copy CD's. 

I like how you describe wanted traits, density, clarity, detail and emotional impact. Thanks!

On 9/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, starise said:

I have some decent tracks now. I have a few CD's and my windows 10 rips them into the player on the computer. The only problem is I can't seem to get the tracks into MCompare.

MCompare will import any sound file that isn't in windows medial player. Like the old stuff I've mixed. WM seems to be a locked system ugh!

Makes no sense that it will import an mp3 or wav you made yourself but won't import one you ripped. Maybe it's the file type or the settings of the file.

There are a ton of free convertors around which allow you to specify the file extension and the settings of it... I'd guess that a converted file will work.

Try getting the VLC player, which allows you to convert as well as playing all types of media.

I believe it's probably the file type. If I rip wavs from a CD they store on my computer as .wma files. Probably converted in the transfer process. I'll look into those converters to see if I can find anything. Thanks!

Archived