Your Ad Could Be Here

Electric guitar recommendations

I'm considering getting my son an electric guitar for Christmas.  I'd rather get him one nice item he'll use than a bunch of little items to clutter his room.  I'm looking for a good sounding guitar without spending too much, if that's possible.  I don't play electric guitar and have no idea what to look for.  Also, what might he need to accompany it that I don't have for my acoustic?  He would be a beginner.  

Really hard to recommend without more info.

Budget?

What kind of thing will he want to do with it? I mean what type of music might he want to make? And which guitarists does he admire?

How old is he? I mean might he need something that won't be too heavy etc? 

Equipment - You'll need an amp (Unless he'll plug it into a sound card/ audio interface to play directly into the computer only (I ask that as I rarely use my amp, I record all electric guitar directly into my DAW via an audio interface...and can play for practice that way too if I want), and a cord to plug into the amp of course. Aside from the guitar that's all you need. ... maybe a pick ;)  

Without more info, my only recommendation is...as someone STILL learning... who's used some really bad guitars in the past... a better quality of guitar with good action and good stable tuning makes learning easier. 

Maybe I should re-think this and wait until he's older.  It would have to be a nice fit for a beginner.  He tends to like country and some of the newer stuff.  He likes Lindsay Graham's "Once I was 7 years old",  and Owl City.  You've got me thinking maybe I should wait for him to lead the direction.  Besides, he just started band and is leaning trumpet at school. It's just that he's musically inclined, great at learning to read music and has a sweet little voice and has an interest in songwriting and I want to do what I can to foster that in him.  I may be jumping the gun.  I'm just excited about it because he's doing things at his young age that I still can't do or teach him.  I did not come from a family of musicians, though all in my family love music.  He's a deep thinker for his age and quite expresssive.  I think he's inclined toward music as a creative outlet.

3 minutes ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Maybe I should re-think this and wait until he's older.  It would have to be a nice fit for a beginner.  He tends to like country and some of the newer stuff.  He likes Lindsay Graham's "Once I was 7 years old",  and Owl City.  You've got me thinking maybe I should wait for him to lead the direction.  Besides, he just started band and is leaning trumpet at school. It's just that he's musically inclined, great at learning to read music and has a sweet little voice and has an interest in songwriting and I want to do what I can to foster that in him.  I may be jumping the gun.  I'm just excited about it because he's doing things at his young age that I still can't do or teach him.  I did not come from a family of musicians, though all in my family love music.  He's a deep thinker for his age and quite expresssive.  I think he's inclined toward music as a creative outlet.

Well when I was a kid I'd have been thrilled to get a guitar for Christmas... as I would be now... so it's likely a winning idea :)

Just very hard for us to help you decide. The best way is to set your budget and read a ton of reviews on every guitar you can afford. It's also worth considering getting a better but used guitar to increase what you can get for your money. Personally I think Ibanez guitars are excellent and not too expensive... but read magazine and customer reviews on whatever guitar because every model of every brand will be different. 

I'd imagine a lot of kids will start with a Fender Squire, and a lot of adults too... I haven't ever owned one but they're not expensive and seem to get good reviews. I do have an Epiphone which is the Gibson budget equivalent I suppose (the first electric I got) but that's quite big and bulky and certainly harder to play than my Ibanez (which cost about the same although the Ibanez was used) .... ( I imagine I could get the Epiphone set up, but that's extra cost and I don't know how much it would help).

I find YouTube is great for reviews on most things!!! I picked a budget fretless bass from scouring YouTube reviews and I'm thrilled with what I got, it's beautiful and sounds just as it did on the YouTube reviews.... that's a 'Vintage' (brand), and I'd guess they make guitars as well as basses...though I can't vouch for any.

12 minutes ago, Jenn said:

Ohhh!!! i think I have a fender squire??? finally know what i have after ~10 years...

It's lasted me this long and i got it for christmas... nothing wrong with it from what i can tell

though the action isnt the best.. but i'm getting used to it

but it says starcaster? nvm idk what kind of guitar i have

Like this https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-starcaster-aged-cherry-burst/87411?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz66z4YPp1gIVQ7ftCh08ywoGEAQYAiABEgIGjPD_BwE

If so... that seems like a superb Christmas prezzie.... A 'Squire' is Fender's very budget end... yours isn't... 

In fact... if that IS what you have... you better start actually recording it or else I will demand you swap it for one of my much more cheapo (all are) and less cool looking guitars!! (you're clearly spoiled! ;)  ) 

1 minute ago, Jenn said:

hahahah yeah no way... its this

image1.thumb.jpeg.9a7e426045eea8c926bb94ccbfca8d4b.jpeg

Oh... yeah that's their student line I think. No idea why they'd use the same name as the other Starcaster which I think cost a fortune if an original 70s one... Very confusing! 

I would hold off till Black Friday and look for the starter kits for kids as Tom mentioned. I got an Epiphone which is designed like a Les Paul. My friend who is right into his guitars and spends a fortune on them, really likes it and says it has one of the best neck length sizes and is easy to play. I think I paid about £125 for it, so that would be about $150 at the moment.

Playing guitar and being on a band is very in at the moment with School kids, so I am sure he would love it.

What you should do, is make a pretense of going to a music shop (there has to be one somewhere near you live) and see if anything catches his eye. If you don't have a music store, pull up samash.com and tell him you might want to get a new acoustic for yourself... You'll think of something. 

If he shows an interest in any instrument, there's low cost starters in every department. 

Personally, I got the deal of a life time. I went into an antique shop in PA. There were two acoustics sitting there. One was crap, the other said GIBSON. It had price tag of $70 or $75. I grabbed it. As I'm walking around the store with it, a kid (late teens) asks if he can check the serial number. I let him, and he's typing it into his phone. I'm thinking "It's a friggin Gibson for $70 bucks, serial number don't matter". Being the guy I am, I chewed them down to $65. A  late 60s LG-1 for $65. It needs some neck work. But, if you play it within the first 5 frets it plays great. 

II would only add that if he's into country a "tele" body style would probably be a good fit. Though the Telecaster is also frequently played in rock bands. There are better and less expensive versions of the tele. Musicians friend regularly has a "Stupid Deal Of The Day" you could also check out. There's usually a few guitars every month for good prices. Buying from a local Guitar Center though might get you a free setup by one of their techs. Setup is very important.

I once played trumpet and that instrument is tuned in Bb. He'll need to adjust to different keys and playing chords since trumpet is monophonic. Guitar or keys are a good way to get into that. 

Like Tom says, they make those "starter packs" for beginners. Usually not bad to begin with. I've heard some 16 year old shred rings around older players using budget guitars :). 

The 500-800 range is where the better guitars usually start and way up from there. Epiphone is a good choice for a sub 200 starter. Heck I have an Epiphone I love. You can make them better by changing the tuners and the pickups later on.

Archived