Your Ad Could Be Here

(Why) Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve watched this one before a while ago when I saw it pop up when I was watching something else.

For me, every song sounds the same, there is nothing new. They have latched onto a winning formula and just repeat it. The same people produce the songs, write the songs, so their influence makes every song sound the same.

They mine other songs that were successful and copy them, to the point where you think you have heard it before. That’s because you have.

I like when an artist tries to be different. Thinks outside of the box and amazes you.

Oh, and it is all about youth and how great you look. Some of these artists can’t sing a note, but look great and auto-tune is their bestest friend.

Some body doesnt want me to view this. The sound repeatedly muted every time I tried to listen. So I turned on subtitles as here...

2q2466t.jpg

It might be Firefox. A new update has just installed. May have to change to Chrome

Well there's nothing like stating the obvious

Well I found it interesting. For example I did not know anything about Max Martin, I didn't even know the name...which is crazy considering -

Martin is the songwriter with the third-most number one singles on the chart, behind only Paul McCartney (32) and John Lennon (26).[3] In addition, he has had the second most Hot 100 number-one singles as a producer (20), behind George Martin, who had achieved 23 by the time of his death.[3]

I haven't even watched it but I can guess the sentiment.

Well, my take is this, isn't it like it always have been and probably always will be?

You think the older generation way back when welcomed The Beatles? Elvis? Dylan? 80's rock? Springsteen? The youngsters sure did but not the generation above, and I don't think they ever have. Just ask us??? (This very topic)

If you change genre from what you yourself are listening to, a common feeling is that everything sounds the same. You need to be in it to hear the subtle differences, otherwise it will sound the same.

I listen to folk. If you don't I'm positive you'll think it all sounds the same.

Go back to the delta blues era and tell me if it doesn't sound the same to you. I love it but admittedly it took awhile to tell them all apart.

Do the same with jazz, grunge, synth pop, EDM etc etc...

If you're in it, if it's your genre, you wouldn't agree because then it is of no problem at all for you to separate the various artists you know and love.

So I don't really agree modern pop is so terrible. Can't say I'm a big fan, but that itself is probably more of a sign I'm too old and not that the music is bad itself. 

My 0.2

Cheers,

Peter

I expressed that poorly. Sorry. No, I have never heard of Max Martin either, nor the Millenial Whoop etc either. However the gist of the video was that the music is homogenised. To me, thats obvious.

3 minutes ago, The S said:

I haven't even watched it but I can guess the sentiment.

Well, my take is this, isn't it like it always have been and probably always will be?

You think the older generation way back when welcomed The Beatles? Elvis? Dylan? 80's rock? Springsteen? The youngsters sure did but not the generation above, and I don't think they ever have. Just ask us??? (This very topic)

If you change genre from what you yourself are listening to, a common feeling is that everything sounds the same. You need to be in it to hear the subtle differences, otherwise it will sound the same.

I listen to folk. If you don't I'm positive you'll think it all sounds the same.

Go back to the delta blues era and tell me if it doesn't sound the same to you. I love it but admittedly it took awhile to tell them all apart.

Do the same with jazz, grunge, synth pop, EDM etc etc...

If you're in it, if it's your genre, you wouldn't agree because then it is of no problem at all for you to separate the various artists you know and love.

So I don't really agree modern pop is so terrible. Can't say I'm a big fan, but that itself is probably more of a sign I'm too old and not that the music is bad itself. 

My 0.2

Cheers,

Peter

There is more to the video than that, so you really need to see it. Hope you'll have better luck than me.

Just now, Rudi said:

There more to the video than that, so you really need to see it. Hope you'll have better luck than me.

Ah, gotcha and I will. Just wrote a quick response based on what I guessed it was about, before getting the kids ready for bedtime. My bad! I'll watch it later. (If I don't fall asleep tucking them in, it's always a 50/50 you won't make it.) :D

/Peter

For clarity - 

I named this thread just to match the video and I separated the 'why' because I'm not sure that modern pop music is terrible. 

I just found that this video went a bit deeper than the 'it's all crap...music ain't what it used to be etc'. Some interesting nuggets in there which might be appreciated by an aspiring pop song writer lookong to cash in, as much as an old fart pop hater ;)

7 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

For clarity - 

I named this thread just to match the video and I separated the 'why' because I'm not sure that modern pop music is terrible. 

I just found that this video went a bit deeper than the 'it's all crap...music ain't what it used to be etc'. Some interesting nuggets in there which might be appreciated by an aspiring pop song writer lookong to cash in, as much as an old fart pop hater ;)

I really enjoyed this when I watched it the first time, I thought it was a very well put together video and touched on a lot of really good points.

I think people are becoming aware of this, and while streaming is horrible most of the time, it does allow for people to easily search for new artists if they want to. When I had apple music.. ohhhh I had an amazing time just listening to things that I always had wanted to.

But the constant playing on the radio is ridiculous. And because of that, it's driving people away from using the radio entirely. 

Pop music has gotten stupider. Now you just need yourself and a computer and you can write anything you want. So why get real musicians when this is working? 

I don't entirely agree with the timbre, I think there are still a lot of nuances in music, but it's more looped than interweaved. The lyrics yeah, trash. But I also think the shift from instruments to vocal melodies is nearly 100%. Hooks are what it's about now. Don't care what kind of guitar you used. 

Don't even get my started on this new wave of absolute crap rap. 

3 hours ago, Jenn said:

Don't even get my started on this new wave of absolute crap rap

Tell me about crap rap? Seriously is there a whole new kind of rap that's just crap?

I ask because my daughter and her friends all do YouTube, the boys in her class have channels where they like to rap....and I thought the quality of their rapping was just down to their age, but then she showed me some of the 'stars' they watch on YouTube rapping...and it was like... Uh? This isn't even rap...this is just saying words barely in time with the beat, no flow, no wordplay... So is that the 'new wave of rap that's crap'? Or something else?

Just now, MonoStone said:

Tell me about crap rap? Seriously is there a whole new kind of rap that's just crap?

I ask because my daughter and her friends all do YouTube, the boys in her class have channels where they like to rap....and I thought the quality of their rapping was just down to their age, but then she showed me some of the 'stars' they watch on YouTube rapping...and it was like... Uh? This isn't even rap...this is just saying words barely in time with the beat, no flow, no wordplay... So is that the 'new wave of rap that's crap'? Or something else?

hahahah no, though i should coin that. it's this whole thing of soundcloud rappers.. probably on par with what she was showing you. it's just loops and crappy 'rapping' with random noises in the background. same beats. same mumbling. 

but basically anyone with Lil in front of their names... uhmmm 

ya Migos.. but lofi

4 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

I actually remember a time when I used to like some rap. Now it is all the same. Crap beats, crap rapping, just plain crap.

2 minutes ago, Jenn said:

hahahah no, though i should coin that. it's this whole thing of soundcloud rappers.. probably on par with what she was showing you. it's just loops and crappy 'rapping' with random noises in the background. same beats. same mumbling. 

but basically anyone with Lil in front of their names... uhmmm 

ya Migos.. but lofi

Yeah well the crappers on YouTube are inspiring a generation... maybe the ones on Soundcloud are, I don't know I don't listen to much rap on Soundcloud, although I know a couple of really good rappers who don't seem to get much attention on there.

Just now, MonoStone said:

Yeah well the crappers on YouTube are inspiring a generation... maybe the ones on Soundcloud are, I don't know I don't listen to much rap on Soundcloud, although I know a couple of really good rappers who don't seem to get much attention on there.

I think a lot of people my age listen to soundcloud cause it's edggggyy... all these rappers at their disposal!! 

Yeah. But I really hate it. Actually, in an interview a few weeks ago someone asked me what music i don't like and i said soundcloud rappers lol 

1 minute ago, HoboSage said:

Similar phenomenon to Songstuff songsters - anyone with Hobo in front of their name can post any kind of bum shit.

oh geez that would be a compliment 

I think my contribution was a bit crappy... but I love the way Omen Rama (Now Mac Mega) raps...

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/wax-for-my-wounds-omen-rama-with-mono-stone

Check out his stuff without me https://soundcloud.com/koldmacmega/04-snakes-and-lizards-omen

Archived