Your Ad Could Be Here

Tv Speakers (what to mix for)

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you would change your mix if it didnt sound as good on another device like a home theater set of speakers. I have GPX HT12B Home Theater Speaker System That sound quite good. Particularlly distorted guitars  Im new to mixing electric guitar that are distored and on my home speakers it sounds like they need to be cleaned up a bit. On my monitors and headphone they sound fine, I have yamaha8s and shureSRH1840 for the mixing. In my Mp3 played and skull candy headphones the sound fine just need to boost the volume a bit. 

45 minutes ago, Quintin said:

I was wondering if you would change your mix if it didnt sound as good on another device

Try playing the reference track/song, as well, on the same device, and if it sounds great then that a sign that your mix still needs a little bit more work. -Ken

1 hour ago, ImKeN said:

Try playing the reference track/song, as well, on the same device, and if it sounds great then that a sign that your mix still needs a little bit more work. -Ken

yes its really just the distorted guitar and the voicings im using, i dont think i should blame it on the spreakers. not to bad for an old song and great learning . The Speakers are not that great now that ive done research.

• 5 months later...
  • Noob

I mix through a set of JBL LSR6328s.
When the producers walk in to view the mix they want to hear it through Avantones.
I talked them out of mixing through the Vizio TV speakers as it has a bad 500hZ resonation.

There was one drama mixer I knew that would have a set of NS10MS next to a TV, and would never mix through mains. They were mostly dialogue driven dramas, so that made sense.

That being said, no two TV speakers are alike, so you must find a proper reference. 
I chose the Avantones.

it's no way to have a right mix without pro speakers and proper room conditions.
but all of us use now mobile devices for listening a lot.
so, i'll do changes if it bad sounded on tablet or phone.
it's also a reason to work a bit in mono while mixing.
but take only one speaker for real mono.

Always use reference tracks you like to make sure your mix is in the right ball park. It’s a good idea to mix for a plain, untreated output, because there are so many set ups out there.

For example, you say it sounds good on your home theatre... surround sound? On what setting? Had you mixed it for surround sound? I would guess not. So unless you are mixing for t.v. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Focus on that reference track, and comparing your mix with that reference on multiple playback systems. The more you do that, the more you begging to get an idea how your playback system effects your tracks, and the more you learn to compensate.

Legend has it that The Beatles had an "AM Car Radio" setup for their boards, and a set of genuine "car speakers" in the mixing room.

"Yeah, we know ... earbuds suck."  But if your actual audience might be wearing earbuds, which are plugged-in to a phone that (s)he just bought at a supermarket checkout line . . . 

Archived